Hello from Southern California!

Status
Not open for further replies.

say10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
I'm Amber. I own three tortoises! I live in Southern California. My two sulcata tortoises are smaller and are named Kuza and Toka. They were found in my uncles backyard and we are guessing a bird picked them up from their original home and dropped them on his steel building where they fell off. The Russian tortoise I have was a friend of my uncles who I took under my wing since my uncle and his kids didn't want him! His name is Dry Bones.

Attachments

• 695fe7c2-9633-480c-bfcc-b893a372fca2.jpg
    695fe7c2-9633-480c-bfcc-b893a372fca2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 68929_158947827592059_598204663_n.jpg
    68929_158947827592059_598204663_n.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 58
  • ced99224-59b0-4e8e-b369-09966178629b.jpg
    ced99224-59b0-4e8e-b369-09966178629b.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo 5 (1).jpg
    Photo 5 (1).jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 401686_135065876646921_709696686_n.jpg
    401686_135065876646921_709696686_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 50

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. Welcome. Very curious about your username. Want to explain? :)

Also. You don't have any sucatas. You DO have a couple of gorgeous CA Desert Tortoises. Its legal to have them, but you'll need to find a local CTTC chapter in a year or two and get your free Fish And Game permits for them. They might get a long for a while, but have a plan to separate them. If one starts outgrowing the other or if you see any overt bullying or food hogging, you will know to separate them. Also, do you know that your russian and these guys should never have any contact, or even share the same space at different times? Its true. Keep them separated.

Do you see a lot of ravens in your area? Are you out in Mojave or near 29 Palms or Joshua Tree?

tyrs4u said:
Whereabouts in SoCal? I was Palm Springs.... Now I fester in Portland

Ugh. Hot, dry and windy, to cold, clammy and rainy. What a change. I'd be "festering" there too.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum, Say10! :)

Are you sure thoses babies are sulcatas? The carapace shape and rounded scales on their front legs suggest that they may be California Desert Tortoises (CDTs).

Whatever they are, they're adorable.

Tom, you beat me to it. LOL! :)

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Lol, actually I love the weather. We were trying to buy a home in New Orleans but the people never budged on prices so I asked my husband Portland or Vegas & we chose rain... I miss CA but not the laws or people ;-)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
tyrs4u said:
Lol, actually I love the weather. We were trying to buy a home in New Orleans but the people never budged on prices so I asked my husband Portland or Vegas & we chose rain... I miss CA but not the laws or people ;-)

Hey, the people aren't so bad here. :p

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
mctlong said:
tyrs4u said:

Hey, the people aren't so bad here. :p

Lol I take it you never visited the Coachella Valley much? ^_*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amber, and welcome to the Forum!

Nice bunch of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
tyrs4u said:

I am in Norco, CA :) Palm Springs is great, I love the Living Desert Zoo!

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
mctlong said:
Welcome to the forum, Say10! :)

Are you sure thoses babies are sulcatas? The carapace shape and rounded scales on their front legs suggest that they may be California Desert Tortoises (CDTs).

Whatever they are, they're adorable.

Tom, you beat me to it. LOL! :)

I didn't know there was a California Tortoise so that is probably what they are! Thank you so much!

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
Tom said:
Hi. Welcome. Very curious about your username. Want to explain? :)

Also. You don't have any sucatas. You DO have a couple of gorgeous CA Desert Tortoises. Its legal to have them, but you'll need to find a local CTTC chapter in a year or two and get your free Fish And Game permits for them. They might get a long for a while, but have a plan to separate them. If one starts outgrowing the other or if you see any overt bullying or food hogging, you will know to separate them. Also, do you know that your russian and these guys should never have any contact, or even share the same space at different times? Its true. Keep them separated.

Do you see a lot of ravens in your area? Are you out in Mojave or near 29 Palms or Joshua Tree?

tyrs4u said:

Ugh. Hot, dry and windy, to cold, clammy and rainy. What a change. I'd be "festering" there too.

Yes I plan to seperate as they grow older and I am building an outdoor enclosure for my Russian, we have crows but no ravens. I'm a few hours away from those places!
Thank you for telling me they were CDTs! I didn't know that it was a type of tortoise and just figured they fit with the sulcatas, I will begin searching for the chapters near me! Thanks!
My user name is from a song by my favorite author Matt Toka, Its either sayten or say10 :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Amber, I can't tell you how jealous I am that birds just dropped those babies off. I would be in heaven. You came to the right place, many people on here have CDT and you will learn a lot from them. Please don't rely on any pet store for advice. I hope you stick around:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Since you are in Norco, why don't you come out to our next meeting. The California Turtle and Tortoise Club, Chino Chapter. You can talk with our president, Jim, about getting your permits for those little cuties :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
Momof4 said:
Amber, I can't tell you how jealous I am that birds just dropped those babies off. I would be in heaven. You came to the right place, many people on here have CDT and you will learn a lot from them. Please don't rely on any pet store for advice. I hope you stick around:)

Yes I will be! Ive learned a lot on here from posts and enjoy the community on here!

Team Gomberg said:
Since you are in Norco, why don't you come out to our next meeting. The California Turtle and Tortoise Club, Chino Chapter. You can talk with our president, Jim, about getting your permits for those little cuties :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Thank you for the invite! When and where do you host the meetings? Do i bring them or just keep them at home? I'd love to come!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll bet you've got a neighbor nearby with at least a pair of CDTs in their yard. Those are some really nice looking babies.

And Norco has GREAT tortoise weather!

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
Tom said:
I'll bet you've got a neighbor nearby with at least a pair of CDTs in their yard. Those are some really nice looking babies.

And Norco has GREAT tortoise weather!

Yeah we have no idea which neighbor has them but I'm glad I've got them! Norco is really warm in the summer so it'll be nice to let them out and bask in the sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.