New Sulcata question

Melissa0617

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I am getting conflicting research and information on humidity for young sulcata’s. I believe my sulcata is a Juvenile? With that said , do I need to keep him in an enclosed enclosure with a fogger? I currently have a set up where the correct ceramic heat lamp and his uv lighting . I soak him every day /every other day. I do have a plexiglass on the right side of his habitat where he has his hide and I spray that area. As I know they are use to living in very dry conditions. I just want to make sure I providing the correct environment for him . Thank you for your help and guidance 😌

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpeg
    IMG_4667.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4611.jpeg
    IMG_4611.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    1,012 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs to be in a closed chamber with humidity at 80% all over. Temps not lower than 80 day and night and basking 95-100.
If you are reading info outside this forum, you are getting the old outdated info.
He should be in this closed chamber for about 2 years depending on how fast he grows.
The enclosure you are using is too small.
Please read the care sheet on this forum and closed chamber thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am getting conflicting research and information on humidity for young sulcata’s. I believe my sulcata is a Juvenile? With that said , do I need to keep him in an enclosed enclosure with a fogger? I currently have a set up where the correct ceramic heat lamp and his uv lighting . I soak him every day /every other day. I do have a plexiglass on the right side of his habitat where he has his hide and I spray that area. As I know they are use to living in very dry conditions. I just want to make sure I providing the correct environment for him . Thank you for your help and guidance 😌
You are getting conflicting info because you are looking at the wrong sources of info. Most of the care info for this species is all wrong. You don't need, and should not use, a fogger. You need a large closed chamber enclosure.

Please read this for the correct care info:

Also, switch your scale to grams. Nobody uses ounces for small tortoises. I took the time to open a new window, search out a conversion site, and do the conversion to grams. Your tortoise is around 97 grams which is good and means it is well past that critical 50 gram mark, which means it should survive.

Read this one for more helpful info:

You are not new, but after three years of being here, the correct care info has somehow not reached you. We are happy to help explain why the conflicting information is out there, and help your baby thrive.

Melissa0617

Las Vegas Nevada
He needs to be in a closed chamber with humidity at 80% all over. Temps not lower than 80 day and night and basking 95-100.
If you are reading info outside this forum, you are getting the old outdated info.
He should be in this closed chamber for about 2 years depending on how fast he grows.
The enclosure you are using is too small.
Please read the care sheet on this forum and closed chamber thread.
Thank you, this is only a temporary enclosure as I’m building him one and I wanted to make sure I am able to provide everything. I have experience with desert tortoises and redfoots. Sulcata’s is a new territory I’m learning and I th am you for your guidance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you, this is only a temporary enclosure as I’m building him one and I wanted to make sure I am able to provide everything. I have experience with desert tortoises and redfoots. Sulcata’s is a new territory I’m learning and I th am you for your guidance.
Read and follow the links Tom posted for you.

Melissa0617

Las Vegas Nevada
You are getting conflicting info because you are looking at the wrong sources of info. Most of the care info for this species is all wrong. You don't need, and should not use, a fogger. You need a large closed chamber enclosure.

Please read this for the correct care info:

Also, switch your scale to grams. Nobody uses ounces for small tortoises. I took the time to open a new window, search out a conversion site, and do the conversion to grams. Your tortoise is around 97 grams which is good and means it is well past that critical 50 gram mark, which means it should survive.

Read this one for more helpful info:

You are not new, but after three years of being here, the correct care info has somehow not reached you. We are happy to help explain why the conflicting information is out there, and help your baby thrive.
Thank you Tom I appreciate you. Thank you for all the information and I will read it all. This set up is just a temporary one as I build a new one .

Reactions: Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Trust in Tom. Unlike a cult - or lemmings off the wrong cliff - @Tom has done the research, has done the field work, and repeated the process over & over again on many 100s of hatchlings.

High humidity, daily soakings until you can no longer lift it. Good food, proper heat & lighting.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Trust in Tom. Unlike a cult - or lemmings off the wrong cliff - @Tom has done the research, has done the field work, and repeated the process over & over again on many 100s of hatchlings.

High humidity, daily soakings until you can no longer lift it. Good food, proper heat & lighting.

Good luck!
...until you can no longer lift it... I LOVE that. Such a good way to word it. I'm openly admitting right here and now that I'm stealing that line from you, and I make no promises about how long I will remember who to credit it to. :)