Sulcata size question

hercules0315

Hello,
I am new to this forum and have a question. I have a male sulcata tortoise who is 3 years old. He measures about 10 inches long and weighs just under 5lbs. Is that a average size for his age? He is fed every day normal greens and given calcium weekly. He lives outside during the day and is brought in during the night to avoid predators. He has no signs of pyramiding or anything wrong with him but I was just curious about his size. I know every tortoise will vary in size according to age. I have seen some his age same size but weigh more. Thanks for the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
5 pounds seems light for a 10" sulcata. How are you weighing? Where do you live? How often do you soak him?

hercules0315

I weigh him on my home scale, I live in southern California and He gets soaked once a week sometimes twice if its really hot to keep him hydrated.

hercules0315

I actually miss-measured him :/ I took him to the local reptile store and the lady there who deals in tortoises said that he is perfectly healthy and a good weight and size for his age so all is well. :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Well, you know we would like to see some pictures of your tortoise.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I actually miss-measured him :/ I took him to the local reptile store and the lady there who deals in tortoises said that he is perfectly healthy and a good weight and size for his age so all is well. :)
So what size is it

chaloman

5 Year Member
I have a 3 years old sulcata and he is 14 inch long and weigth 16 lbs..... I think for a 10 inch long sulcata 5 lbs might be a little low weigth from my personal point of view but i am not an expert.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
That is almost the same age as my boy. I would love to see a photo of yours!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Okay, so what is the correct length and weight?

I would not be so quick to trust the pet store lady. Pet stores do not have a good track record, unfortunately.