New star turtle pet holders!

Rajshree

Hi! I have got a new baby star tortoise. Its very active and playful. It hates confinement and likes to run all over house and find a spot for itself. I am worried as it hasnt eaten anything since yesterday (it came yesterday), and its also not pooping. If anybody can help me with any suggestions, it will be great!

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
Let it settle down. Eventually it will feel hungry. For now, do give it a hiding spot.

Rajshree

Let it settle down. Eventually it will feel hungry. For now, do give it a hiding spot.
OK. he is sleeping for now in a dark spot that he chose for himself. whenever he wakes i try to tempt him with food, but he doesnt even open mouth. hope he eats soon.

pete55

Give it time to adjust to environment and ensure there's some privacy. I've just got mine and the only time they eat is when I discreetly observe them. It seems they need to become accustomed to their new home. A soak in tepid - warm water may stimulate the appetite. Best of luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't own a star but I believe that all torts need warmth so make sure he is warm enough Look at the care sheets for the correct temperatures for stars. Maybe he is stressed by the changes he has had and may feel more secure in a warm box rather than roaming your house. I hope he soon settles in.

Rajshree

I don't own a star but I believe that all torts need warmth so make sure he is warm enough Look at the care sheets for the correct temperatures for stars. Maybe he is stressed by the changes he has had and may feel more secure in a warm box rather than roaming your house. I hope he soon settles in.
Hi! We are in India and it is pretty hot over here, that is why, we left it to roam around house. We just made a home for it, with 2 shelters, basking area and food area. It is roaming around drinking water atleast...not touching food yet. When we peep over its shelter, it wants to come out and starts scratching walls of shelter. When we left it alone, its just roaming and relaxing. Am glad its not throwing tantrums about being in a shelter. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry Rajshree - tend to think everyone suffering form the same cold temps as UK. I'm sure he'll eat when he's hungry Maybe a tortoise safe plant or two to hide under in its enclosure will help too.

Rajshree

Sorry Rajshree - tend to think everyone suffering form the same cold temps as UK. I'm sure he'll eat when he's hungry Maybe a tortoise safe plant or two to hide under in its enclosure will help too.
Yeah! We are going to buy some small plants for it. Generally people who complain that their turts are not eating, also report laziness. But mine is jumpy and active. Its being a day it hasnt eaten and its a baby. The dealer said it loves cucumber, but its not touching anything when we try to feed. I think if we leave it alone, may be it will eat a little. Maybe its scared of our hands.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes he probably is nervous. If you leave the food you may find it's been nibbled, but not sure if cucumber is recommended - the care sheets will tell you more about diet. From what I've read here dealers/pet shop owners aren't really too fussy what they feed - just what's easiest not necessarily what's good so you may need to gradually change that.
There's a good website which can help you ID plants which plants are safe but don't know if many of your native plants will be there. Its www.thetortoisetable.org in case you want to check.

Rajshree

Yeah, I read about its diet and its recommended to give high fiber diet. He ate bits of beetroot yester evening, by my brother's hand. Today, We all tried to feed it but it didnt. Just now, I kept him on my palm and offered some cucumber and beet. He ate all of it. I think he is quite moody. Whenever he is hungry, he feeds by our hands. Not touches food placed in his home. Also, he pooped in morning. So I am glad things are turning out to be good. :)