losing weight and occasional runny faeces

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachie8476

5 Year Member
hi, we have had a star for about 6 weeks and believe he is around 2 years old, or so we was told. we have been weighing him weekly, he weighed 145g last week, yesterday he weighed 135g and today he hasnt eaten anything but we weighed him and he only weighs 126g, to me that seems abit dramatic. he has the occasional runny poo, but otherwise seems ok. my thoughts are worms or parasites?...can anybody give me some information on what it could be thanks

wildak

5 Year Member
Your probably correct and if you take a fresh sample to your vet they will look for worms or Flagilites. Worms can be spotted pretty easy but the flagilites can be difficult if they`re dead from the sample being too old.
Reptiles often carry parasites but sometimes they get a little out of control from the stress of shipping or if they get sick.

Bryan

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep... parasites would be my first guess. get a fresh sample to the vet asap.
Also make sure he is warn enough, getting good soaks and diet is correct.
Diarhea can dehydrate them..

rachie8476

5 Year Member
thank you. i will get to the vet asap. what is the best diet for an indian? i have read just leafy greens and plants, is this right?

would anybody recommend feedding zoomed grassland tortoise food to a star with the diet?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
diet should be a good variety of greens for them to eat.. i feed my star weeds i collect outside with some spring mix greens, dandilions, chickaweed, clover, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.