EMERGENCY: Need help with my baby star turtle's health!

Rajshree

Hi People!

My baby star turtle is looking weak and lazy since 2 days. He eats twice a day and is very playful usually. But recently, he is been hiding in dark, looking lazy, eating without interest, not playing, urinating randomly, pooping anytime. He is also very regular with pooping and urinating but not anymore. He is making weird noises as if he is crunching something by his teeth (krrrrrr type) but in reality he is eating nothing. Kindly share experience if your turtle showed any such symptom ever, specially that noise.
I need suggestions if I shall take him to doctor or is it something related to diet.

IMG-20150712-WA0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tell us about how you are housing him. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using?
How often do you soak him?
What do you feed him?
What substrate is he on?
Any other details?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@tortadise @Tom might be able to help, but he would need much more info. Temos, humdiity, type of lighting, type of heat, type of substrate, diet, how many times do you soak, anything else you can think of.

Rajshree

Thanks for looking into matter Tom and Wellington!
Tell us about how you are housing him. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using?
How often do you soak him?
What do you feed him?
What substrate is he on?
Any other details?
Hi!
Thanks for replying! We have made a small house type thing for him. Substrate is soil and lawn grass. We soak him twice a day in water and he poops usually after that. He eats Hibiscus leaves and Cucumber twice a day. I live in India, so havent set any artificial basking area for him. He daily basks in the morning Sun. He is very attention seaking. He starts jumping on watching me and my hubby. He runs after us with tail wagging and plays. But since two days, he is ignoring us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is he living outside full time?
What size is he?
What are the temperatures in his living area?

Even though they are native to India, they sometimes still need some help from their humans, just like desert tortoises here in California.

Your tortoise needs much more variety in the diet. Read this thread for a list of ideas. It was written for sulcatas, so just use a lot less emphasis on grass: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

This might help a bit too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Rajshree

Is he living outside full time?
What size is he?
What are the temperatures in his living area?

Even though they are native to India, they sometimes still need some help from their humans, just like desert tortoises here in California.

Your tortoise needs much more variety in the diet. Read this thread for a list of ideas. It was written for sulcatas, so just use a lot less emphasis on grass: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

This might help a bit too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
He likes to be in his home at night and for some time in noon to take a nap. Rest of the time, he likes roaming around and sits near us. We read that turtles must be kept properly in an enclosed area. But this one wants us to be near us, otherwise he becomes jumpy. We tried variety of diet for him. Sometimes we give him grass, spinach, tomato, gaurds. But he eats them half heartedly. Room temperature is like 22 to 26 Celcius. I will check the sent links meanwhile. Can you tell me why is he making weird noises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He likes to be in his home at night and for some time in noon to take a nap. Rest of the time, he likes roaming around and sits near us. We read that turtles must be kept properly in an enclosed area. But this one wants us to be near us, otherwise he becomes jumpy. We tried variety of diet for him. Sometimes we give him grass, spinach, tomato, gaurds. But he eats them half heartedly. Room temperature is like 22 to 26 Celcius. I will check the sent links meanwhile. Can you tell me why is he making weird noises?

Those temperatures are too cold. They need warm temps. Background temps need to be no lower than 26 all the time, and they need a basking area of around 36-37 degrees all day long. This is most likely why you are seeing a behavioral change and hearing weird noises. Cold temperatures make them sick and cause respiratory infections. Get him into a warm enclosure with the right heating and lighting equipment ASAP.

The temperatures on the floor being too cold is just one problem. Cleaning chemical residues, other pets, feet, doors, electrical cords and ingesting objects are all things that can and do go wrong. Your tortoise needs its own indoor and outdoor enclosures that are designed and regulated for what he needs to live and be healthy.

Do you have any kids? I do. She like ice cream. If I left it up to her she would eat nothing but ice cream every day. Don't leave it up to your tortoise to decide what to eat. Make the tortoise eat the right foods.

Here is a care sheet written for sulcatas and leopards. I house my stars exactly the same way. This will tell you how to correctly set up an enclosure.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Rajshree

Those temperatures are too cold. They need warm temps. Background temps need to be no lower than 26 all the time, and they need a basking area of around 36-37 degrees all day long. This is most likely why you are seeing a behavioral change and hearing weird noises. Cold temperatures make them sick and cause respiratory infections. Get him into a warm enclosure with the right heating and lighting equipment ASAP.

The temperatures on the floor being too cold is just one problem. Cleaning chemical residues, other pets, feet, doors, electrical cords and ingesting objects are all things that can and do go wrong. Your tortoise needs its own indoor and outdoor enclosures that are designed and regulated for what he needs to live and be healthy.

Do you have any kids? I do. She like ice cream. If I left it up to her she would eat nothing but ice cream every day. Don't leave it up to your tortoise to decide what to eat. Make the tortoise eat the right foods.

Here is a care sheet written for sulcatas and leopards. I house my stars exactly the same way. This will tell you how to correctly set up an enclosure.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Thanks Tom! I am gonna buy all required equipments for him ASAP. Kindly name the instrument that you use for providing heat at night? Coz if I use any bulb or lamp, he wont sleep. He craves dark for sleeping.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Tom! I am gonna buy all required equipments for him ASAP. Kindly name the instrument that you use for providing heat at night? Coz if I use any bulb or lamp, he wont sleep. He craves dark for sleeping.
You need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) to provide heat at night without light.

It has a screw fitting like a light bulb, but you will need a Ceramic bulb holder or cage to put it in as it gets too hot for a standard bulb holder.

who rocks

Hi Rajs.....

U live in India, it's monsoon days. No doubt temp. Falls. U need to avoide cucumber in these days. Feed him hibiscus leaves & flowers(Kali) chopped. Rose leaves n petels, these r easily available in market or u can grow ur own in garden to avoid poisoning . avoid Jeeping him on ur home ceramic floor. That is too cold. Better make a wodden box of size 3' x 6' & make the bedding of soil & hay. Make sure to keep windows shut if u stay in flat at high floor. Don't soke daily. Make it twice a week (in Luke warm water chin deep) stars r not ment to Rome around in ur home. Also u can cover the top of the box with jute sack to keep it warm.

I believe cucumber is the main reason for his behaviour. Lack of calcium makes them make that noise too. U can get "samudra fase" in ayurvedic store. That's a natural resource of calcium from sea. Or a cuttle fish bone will do. There is no specific time for their poop. Climate & diet makes that change. As far as he is eats and poops he is good. Check If he is sneezing. Its not time to keep him outdoor

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lots of good advice given.
I hope that following it will ensure your lovely star gets well soon.
Fix the temps first as food cannot be digested properly if the body temperature is too low.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is a CHE
images
if you run it through a thermostat it will keep the temps even
images

These are similar to mine but other sorts available too
Good luck to your baby.