New RES owner

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I feel like I'm bombarding everyone with questions. Curious about food now. I'm really uncomfortable giving pet store food. The Captain came with this food, he's been eating it for at least two years. View attachment 100963
Is this good for him if he is a cooter? I am always stocked up on leafy greens and whatnot for my redfoot. Should I be giving that to this guy as well? How much and how often?

I'm not familiar with those pictured. I use Mazuri aquatic turtle , Mazuri tortoise, omega 1 turtle sticks, omega 1 veggie rounds and the Hikari koi food with wheat germ. I offer greens everyday (same ones I feed the tortoises) and once a week earthworms or crickets.
There's lots of posts regarding the CFL bulbs and I suggest doing a search so you can come up with your own conclusion, but in short they can emit at a dangerous frequency and can damage eyes. I'd replace both bulbs with a mercury vapor bulb that does heat and UVB. Cooters love to bask and will appreciate good lighting. They are also a lot of fun.
Congrats on the new addition.

Nicoled

Thanks Zeno. Excellent info. He is sure a feisty fellow and he has an awesome personality. It seems as though he's interested in playing... Which is much different from my redfoot. She is more of a "let's chill while you crochet" kind of pet. ;) The Captain follows me from his tank like a little puppy! I'm so pleased with him. :)

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks Zeno. Excellent info. He is sure a feisty fellow and he has an awesome personality. It seems as though he's interested in playing... Which is much different from my redfoot. She is more of a "let's chill while you crochet" kind of pet. ;) The Captain follows me from his tank like a little puppy! I'm so pleased with him. :)

Yep, mine too. Here's a link I forgot to add

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/pseudemyscare.htm

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Wow, I'm sorry, I completely thought hat you had an RES! Thank you for the head picture, now I can see he doesn't have the little ear, which would be a big give away if he was :confused: