RES Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
My friend recently got a little RES from China Town in LA :) She got him Saturday afternoon and he still hasn't eaten. She has him in some nice water, a 10 gallon tank with little (but not to little) rocks at the bottom, a basking spot, and a little island. When do you suppose he'll start eating? He looks boy right now and his name is Captain (because she likes captain America ;)) Thank you TFO :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does she have a heater for the water? They do well with temps at 78 degrees for the water constantly...

That little turtle has likely had a whirl of a life since birth and not in a positive way....so I would set the little one up and then not mess with him too much....I would offer a night crawler or the like, or perhaps some of the freeze dried shrimp from the pet store ---as when they are little they like meat moreover than greens...patience is key once you know all of the set up is bang on...:D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I recommend frozen, and thawed, blood worms. They're not much for nutrition for the long haul, but they are great to get hatchlings or fussy eaters to get going. But Angela is right, that this little guy has been through so much, and it may just take him time to settle. Also keep in mind that he was viewed as a disposable pet to the seller, and this turtle most definately has not received anything close to proper care yet. Sad but true..

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
I recommend frozen, and thawed, blood worms. They're not much for nutrition for the long haul, but they are great to get hatchlings or fussy eaters to get going. But Angela is right, that this little guy has been through so much, and it may just take him time to settle. Also keep in mind that he was viewed as a disposable pet to the seller, and this turtle most definately has not received anything close to proper care yet. Sad but true..

Yes, I haven't seen a RES in any condition refuse frozen bloodworms.

Elisabeth89

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Petsmart has them in the freezer try brine shrimp mine love that stuff

Thank you. Haha. It's my turtle he was talking about. I'm going to petsmart tonight to get some. I hope he will start eating.

Elisabeth89

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:

I went to petsmart today and got him some shrimp. He still isn't eating, but it's only Monday and he is still getting use to his new home. Thank you everyone for the great info.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
I used to have a baby RES that i found in our yard long time ago and he wouldnt eat but after about 2 days he started eating. You may have to leave the room after you give him food because he might be shy. How large is he? Because the nessecary tank size is 10 gallons per inch of turtle, the tank might be to small unless hes around 1 to 2 inches. Best of luck.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Elisabeth89 said:
TortoiseBoy1999 said:

Well I turned off his light around 8:30. And his water is about 71 degrees.

It's a hatchling right? You should get a submersible heater to get that temp up to 78-80 degrees.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
adamlikesbananas said:
I used to have a baby RES that i found in our yard long time ago and he wouldnt eat but after about 2 days he started eating. You may have to leave the room after you give him food because he might be shy. How large is he? Because the nessecary tank size is 10 gallons per inch of turtle, the tank might be to small unless hes around 1 to 2 inches. Best of luck.

He is TINY. ;)

Elisabeth89

5 Year Member
srod said:
It's a hatchling right? You should get a submersible heater to get that temp up to 78-80 degrees.

Yes. He is about 1-2in. He is in a 10gallon tank and he doesn't seem to mind the 71-72. But our house is on the cooler side because we don't use the heater that often. I'm wondering if the temp. will rise in the summer.

adamlikesbananas said:

He is about 1-2 in. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The RES sold in chinatown 80 to 90 percent are sick, usually a RI. Unless you are one of the lucky few who got a healthy one and he is just readjusting, I doubt he will start eating on his own. Keeping him warm and offering live food is your best option, at that size a vet visit is useless. For right now it is a waiting game. About a year ago my tortoise club got in thousands of them from a raid in chinatown, and our members ( experienced members I might add) loss upwards of 90 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.