New pig nosed turtle owner and need help

Lilpook1

Hello,

I just got a pig nosed turtle after doing a lot of research and always wanting to own one. I am living in China so they are readily available here. I bought him at a local store and was told that he's a little less than 2 years old. He's a little small for his age - his shell is about 5 cm long. He looks very healthy, not a mark on him. I got him home and put him by himself (except for a couple snails, shrimp, and guppies) in a cycled tank.

The problem is, I have had him for 5 days and have yet to see him eat *anything*. The store I bought him from gave me the Fly River turtle food he had been eating (sinking wafers). I have tried those, algae wafers, spinach and water lettuce which I tucked under a rock so they weren't floating. I also tried thin slices of banana and apple which I had both floating and some I had tucked partway in the sand bottom. He doesn't seem to care about any of it!

He's a bit shy, and his tank at the store was just glass with water. No decorations or gravel and he was in with one other pig nose the same size. So I figured for the first few days that he was just adjusting. His new tank is heavily planted and has some driftwood, as well as sand bottom on one side and pearlite on the other. But at this point I'm getting worried that he is choosing not to eat and starving himself. Water is crystal clear and 28 deg C. Nitrites, Nitrates, pH are all in check.

He is pretty active when he's not sleeping. He swims around and perches on the different plants for hours. I did see him poop once on Day 2... But that's it. And I've never seen him eat. The shrimp end up eating his wafers and I remove the fruit each day and put fresh to keep from fouling the water.

Does anyone have similar experiences with new pig nosed turtles not eating or any other suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. My turtle experience is with musk turtles and they eat pretty much everything with no hesitation. So this is quite different and I want to know how much I should worry. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Congrats on your pig nose, I love them. I don't have them and know nothing about them. Would love to see a pic of it. Hopefully someone will come on that has some experience with them. I don't recall any of our members having them. That's not to say someone can't help though. Good luck and hope all goes well.

Berkeley

Hi Lilpook1-
I've kept them in the past. They are a lot of fun. If it is only about 5 cm, that means that it is a hatchling. I'm betting less than a few months old. Can you post a picture?

Just be patient with it. It will eventually figure out it is in a safe place and that it is hungry. I have seen hatchlings (and young juveniles) take up to several weeks before they start eating.

Your husbandry seems to all be in line. How big is the tank? The one thing I would do though is remove the perlite. You don't want it to eat any of that- that will really mess up their intestinal tract. You can keep just a total sand bottom, or if you have access to crushed coral (like they use in marine aquariums) get a bag of that and mix it with the sand.

I hope that helps! Good luck.

--Berkeley