A battle of wills...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My mud turtle, Jacques, and I are engaged in a battle of willpower.
HE is determined that he will only eat raw salmon, raw scallops or (cooked) pot roast. But I am determined that ONCE A WEEK he will eat his healthy, vitamin-enriched Hikari Sinking Carnivore Wafers. For the first 6 months I had him, he ate the carnivore wafers very happily. But then I decided to introduce him to "real" food and he hasn't been the same since. He has become very picky and I've let him. But that must change.
We are currently on Day 4 of the turtle kibble stand-off. For the last 4 days he has dashed up to the front of his tank, dancing and begging for food. I drop in the carnivore wafers, he grabs one but then drops it. He sniffs it, then turns his back, walks back to his cave and turns around STARING at me. He WILL.NOT.EAT. the turtle kibbles.

I know reptiles can go a whole lot longer without eating than we can, but I'm getting a little nervous. He can't possibly be starving if he turns up his nose at perfectly good food he used to eat, or so I tell myself.
There's a photo where he is staring back out of his cave with the sinking wafers in the foreground.
(((SIGH)))) Wish me luck! I'll need it- I'm such a wimp. :confused:

IMG_4365.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awe… I thought Will was going to fight another person named Will… Bummer.

Try rubbing his favorite foods all over the pellets, or try crumbling the pellets and putting some in and on his favorite foods.

Scallops??? Mmmmm… I want some scallops!!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Awe… I thought Will was going to fight another person named Will… Bummer.

Try rubbing his favorite foods all over the pellets, or try crumbling the pellets and putting some in and on his favorite foods.

Scallops??? Mmmmm… I want some scallops!!!

Ditto. Rub some salmon or scallops on his pellets. But don't worry, he won't starve to death if he doesn't get his way. Eventually he'll give in.
Think of a Palm Beacher in a fallout shelter...."What, no salmon tonight? No scallops either? Well then, Muffy and I shall simply starve ourselves to death!"
By the second day they'd be scarfing down cat food from the can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to say the same as Tom. Rub the food on the waffer or crumble the waffer into small pieces and hide them inside his favorite food. Getting creative in food feeding wil get you the win much faster then a stand off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Scallops? Salmon? Pot roast? Tell me does he have any room for a roommate? Remember a healthy turtle will not starve itself.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Scallops? Salmon? Pot roast? Tell me does he have any room for a roommate? Remember a healthy turtle will not starve itself.
Hmmmm...since you say a healthy turtle with not starve itself, do you think there is something I should be concerned about?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't think so, i think David was saying that torts or turtles may be fussy and hold out for a bit, but eventually will eat when they are hungry enough.
I also would mix the stuff together.
I think Jacques is gorgeous.:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
SUCCESS!!!!! :)
On the suggestions from you guys, I broke up 2 wafers and smooshed them into some soft, gooey raw salmon. He gobbled it ALL down and never knew what hit him!!!! YAAAAAYYYYY!!!! :)

...and it only took me getting suggestions from 6 people to outfox a critter with a brain smaller than a peanut...o_O:D
@Tom @Yelloweyed @cdmay @tglazie @wellington @dmmj @Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
SUCCESS!!!!! :)
On the suggestions from you guys, I broke up 2 wafers and smooshed them into some soft, gooey raw salmon. He gobbled it ALL down and never knew what hit him!!!! YAAAAAYYYYY!!!! :)

...and it only took me getting suggestions from 6 people to outfox a critter with a brain smaller than a peanut...o_O:D
@Tom @Yelloweyed @cdmay @tglazie @wellington @dmmj @Tidgy's Dad
Well it just goes to prove that eight peanuts are better than one. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hmmmm...since you say a healthy turtle with not starve itself, do you think there is something I should be concerned about?
I misspoke sorry a healthy Turtle will not starve itself a healthy Turtle will eat sooner or later

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Mooz can you provide us with more photos of Jaques a day his enclosure?
Some of us are starved for mud turtle stuff!
They are what I stated catching when I was about 6 years old. Been keeping mud turtles of one kind or another pretty much ever since.
Yikes! That's 50 years of keeping muddies!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Mooz can you provide us with more photos of Jaques a day his enclosure?
Some of us are starved for mud turtle stuff!
They are what I stated catching when I was about 6 years old. Been keeping mud turtles of one kind or another pretty much ever since.
Yikes! That's 50 years of keeping muddies!
SO COOL!!!!:)
Muddies really are adorable: that little face! and he clearly has a personality!
I'll start a Jacques thread over in the Water Turtles section...Might not be today, though...got a lot going on.
But I'm glad to meet another "muddie person!!!!!" :p