New outdoor hatchling enclosure! *Pictures*

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Okay, so I finally got some plants for their enclosure! I forgot to bring the list of OK plants (oy!), but remembered a few, and for now have Marigolds and Hibiscus. The next trip I will look for Geraniums, Petunias, Impatients, etc. I also added a new rock that is better for climbing.

In some of the pictures it is still dry, but as you will see in others, I wet it down again when I was done.

What do you think? :D

Tortoisefinalenclosure006.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure007.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure008.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure009.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure010.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure011.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure012.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure020.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure021.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure022.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure023.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure025.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure028.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure029.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure031.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure032.jpg

Tortoisefinalenclosure036.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Looking great!

The only change I would make would be to move the water dishes and food tiles. They are right in the dirt. If they push the food off the tile (and I am 100% positive they do) and try to take a bite, they are getting mouthfuls of dirt, and also dragging dirt into the water dish.

I put my water dish and food rock in the grass in my Russian pen, just dug a little area and sunk it down in.

KristinasPictures247.jpg

KristinasPictures254.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I was curious on how old they are and what's he summer temp where you are at? Mine do very well outside and I feel they thrive more, even being outside with the hot temps, as long as they have lots of hide and shade.

M

Maggie Cummings

That is so much better with shade and plants and instant grass...good job!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sherman (Sulcata) is approx. 1 year and 7 months old. Euclid and Echo (CDTs) are approx. 8 months old.

I believe it was in the 70's today, but has been in the high 80's and in the 90's recently too. They don't go out if it is too cold though.

Thanks Maggie and Kyryah!

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
I went through the threads a couple times just in case I missed this info, but didn't see anything mentioned, so here goes . . . is there a wire top on your enclosure? I always worry that other creatures will "swoop" down and carry off the tiny ones like yours:(. Even though they are probably out only a short time each day, unfortunately we can't watch them every minute.

pebbles

5 Year Member
your outdoor enclosure is AMAZING. I love it. Everything a tort can ask for!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
OurZoo said:
. . . is there a wire top on your enclosure? I always worry that other creatures will "swoop" down and carry off the tiny ones like yours:(. ...

I really feel like the animals that swoop aren't a concern for them. However, animals that can climb in or dig their way in are definitely something that could be a problem. Not sure if you read the thread recently about the raccoon attack http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17100.html?highlight=raccoon but its pretty sobering as to what a raccoon can do.

Also, your enclosure really changed a ton once you put those plants and grass in. Wow. Looks great.

moswen

5 Year Member
oh how cute! i like the picture of the one tort moving to the other tort's food, that's just like my little piggy ayana, the food's always better on someone else's plate!! ps. love the enclosure too!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
PeanutbuttER said:
OurZoo said:
. . . is there a wire top on your enclosure? I always worry that other creatures will "swoop" down and carry off the tiny ones like yours:(. ...

I really feel like the animals that swoop aren't a concern for them. However, animals that can climb in or dig their way in are definitely something that could be a problem. Not sure if you read the thread recently about the raccoon attack http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17100.html?highlight=raccoon but its pretty sobering as to what a raccoon can do.

Also, your enclosure really changed a ton once you put those plants and grass in. Wow. Looks great.

These little guys are only outdoors during the day. They all come in at night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.