outdoor enclosure for cold/snow areas?

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Moving north to lake effect snow area from coastal AL

I have an outdoor enclosure now and that's where my EBTs live. They hibernate out there as well.
I'd like to create a new outdoor enclosure once I move.
Coldest months will have avg highs in the low/mid 30s and lows in the upper teens/low 20s (as opposed to low 60s for highs and high 30s for lows here).
Can I let them hibernate outside in their new enclosure there? If so, what do I need to make sure I do when building the enclosure so they can hibernate outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think they would be ok in the ground. I put up a big pile of garden trash on the high side of the box turtle pen and in the winter they all just dig down into the dirt under the pile. As long as they get below the frost line it should be fine. Terry-0 keeps her box turtles outside in New York and they are under a couple feet of snow in the winter time. She has pictures of it someplace. I'll try to find it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Thanks - I knew there was somebody here that had a setup, but had no clue who or where they were to try to search.

I pile layers of mulch and leaves in the end of the pen here and that's where they dig in.
Unless I find and close on a house quick, the pen will be next year as I won't be able to dig much and they will be spending the winter in a garage or shed as I'm hoping the house here will sell before they come out of hibernation, so we'll come up with something so I can transport them to the new place once I have it.