New outdoor enclosure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
I'm trying to plan out my new outdoor enclosure that I'm going to build here in a couple of weeks. My 1st question is, would an 8'x8' enclosure be large enough for 3 small redfoots? My next question is, should I build it under a tree to protect them from too much sunlight, or put it in the open sunlight area, with a good size hide box? The tree is cedar btw. I just want to make them as comfortable as much as I can. Our summers in Mississippi can get really hot and humid.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
RonHays said:
I'm trying to plan out my new outdoor enclosure that I'm going to build here in a couple of weeks. My 1st question is, would an 8'x8' enclosure be large enough for 3 small redfoots? My next question is, should I build it under a tree to protect them from too much sunlight, or put it in the open sunlight area, with a good size hide box? The tree is cedar btw. I just want to make them as comfortable as much as I can. Our summers in Mississippi can get really hot and humid.

If they are small, yes 8x8 is a good space for them. As far as the tree goes, you could always block off the tree from them. By lining it with like cement blocks or some type of barrier. Redfoots will like to get some sun out there, but the tree would be good too for a lot of shade.

You should do a hide box either way you go.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
In my opinion I would make it away from the tree. You can always add more shade with hides, grasses, bushes etc. but if you put it under the tree, you cant add more sun!

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Yeah I'm definitely putting a hide box in either way. I just want to make sure I put it in the right location

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would go for the sun and add tall ornamental grasses. When it gets really hot you will need to add a sprinkler on a timer to cool things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.