New outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2684

5 Year Member
This is Terence's new outdoor enclosure, it's not massive but the biggest I could allow size wise due to the six of our garden, it's going to have chicken wire put across the bottom and then be filled with about a foot or so of topsoil... Allowing him to dog away to his hearts content... Can't wait for it to be finished!! Any other suggestionsImageUploadedByTortForum1369581865.062175.jpg would be great... Want it to be as fun for him as possible :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Nice and deep.
Your plans sound good! Make sure the area you pick in the garden gets as much sun as possible, especially in the morning when they like to warm up.
* would still cap the corners, or better yet, create a small lip around the edges. They are amazing climbers.
* if you can put a small dog house in there, elevated above the ground, and/or a small cold frame set on a wood or brick base, he will have a dry area to retreat to on rainy days (and at night if you eventually have a lid).
While it is also possible to just keep him out there during the day and bring him in at night, having a retreat allows him to be outside on a changeable day when the sun is out intermittently.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just make sure you cap the corners... Russians are the best climbers and those logs look like they have the potential to be used as a ladder

ben2684

5 Year Member
Part of it will have a gravel/stone surface, but great idea about the dog kennel, the edge is going to have a lip just haven't got to that part yet! I'm rather impressed with myself as my DIY skills are minimal :) I've got some seeds from shelled warriors that I'll plant, wanted a couple of larger shrub like plants in there... Any ideas as to safe ones?? I'm hoping to somehow make a strong wire mesh 'lid' that's lockable but may have to get outside help with that; as I live in a built up area and don't want to come home to find him missing!!! The lip round the edge will help the lid sit on top :) lining it in the next few days then its full steam ahead, hopefully he'll like it!!!!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If adding stone, make sure they are not small enough for your tortoise to ingest.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

ben2684

5 Year Member
After speaking to my partners dad (my did guru) he's recommended that I put hardcore in the base to aid drainage, he's also going to help me build a few natural looking bit safe hides from stone... Somehow we're going to try and emulate a natural burrow, but that's still in the planning stage! I've looked at where it's going and due to a small tree there is a patch of shade pretty much all day (though it moves with the sun) plus he'll have a few terracotta pots to hide in. Can't wait to get him out in the sun! Looking at the tortoise table website has given me a few ideas

Ps you're enclosure is beautiful! Unfortunately I rent so cannot make anything too permanent!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looking really good! I love the look of timbers!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
you should be very proud of yourself, it is going to be wonderful when finished

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ben2684 said:
After speaking to my partners dad (my did guru) he's recommended that I put hardcore in the base to aid drainage, he's also going to help me build a few natural looking bit safe hides from stone... Somehow we're going to try and emulate a natural burrow, but that's still in the planning stage! I've looked at where it's going and due to a small tree there is a patch of shade pretty much all day (though it moves with the sun) plus he'll have a few terracotta pots to hide in. Can't wait to get him out in the sun! Looking at the tortoise table website has given me a few ideas

Ps you're enclosure is beautiful! Unfortunately I rent so cannot make anything too permanent!!

This is going to be amazing. Way to recruit talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.