New outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We finally completed Karloff's new outdoor enclosure (just in time for an entire 24 hours of torrential downpouring rain!). Wanted to post pictures and get some advice on how to improve it. Its four square feet, the base has chicken wire stapled to it to ensure that he can't dig his way out of it, the sides are about 8 inches above ground which he shouldn't be able to climb over. There were a few wild growing dandelion weeds in the yard that I replanted inside for him to graze on, and there are two separate ceramic tile basking "stones" in two different locations, to catch the sunlight in the morning and afternoon. We also used a piece of leftover wood to create a small covered shady hide area. What do you think? Possible improvements?

Attachments

• 101_0127.JPG
    101_0127.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 101_0128.JPG
    101_0128.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 101_0129.JPG
    101_0129.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 101_0132.JPG
    101_0132.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 101_0133.JPG
    101_0133.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 67

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well the enclosure looks great, but I think you should start using tinypic.com to post your pics. Copy and paste the IMG code.

Does it get enough shade at all hours of the day? I'd be careful with that. It might get hot in that little pit. I'm very happy to see n outdoor enclosure. I think everybody ought to have one. I use mine whenever the weather permits, but move them indoors when it gets cold and at night.

BTW, 4' x 4' = 16 square feet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

It might be nice (and safe) if hubby built a frame that fit over the top, then staple chicken wire to that frame. A lid that you can leave on and take off.

I really like the idea of tortoises living outside. That's where they do best! Tell hubby, "Good Job!!"

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I really like it! I like the idea of the buried chicken wire.
I'm looking to build an outdoor enclosure for Nelson to live in during the days in the summer.

Now build a frame/top for it, like Yvonne suggests...and then tell me how you did it so I can do the same ;)

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
ChiKat said:
I really like it! I like the idea of the buried chicken wire.
I'm looking to build an outdoor enclosure for Nelson to live in during the days in the summer.

Now build a frame/top for it, like Yvonne suggests...and then tell me how you did it so I can do the same ;)

That's the next step. Right now I can't leave him out unsupervised at all, so next weekend we're going to get four dowels (spelling?) and staple them together, then attach the chicken wire to that and hinge it. It will also have a lock to secure it closed, as it is in my front yard and there are plenty of kids in my neighborhood.

Tom said:
Well the enclosure looks great, but I think you should start using tinypic.com to post your pics. Copy and paste the IMG code.

Does it get enough shade at all hours of the day? I'd be careful with that. It might get hot in that little pit. I'm very happy to see n outdoor enclosure. I think everybody ought to have one. I use mine whenever the weather permits, but move them indoors when it gets cold and at night.

BTW, 4' x 4' = 16 square feet.

I know, I meant four by four square feet, was typing quickly, missed it. There is a shady corner that stays cool all day, also,

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oo great, can't wait to see pictures of the cover :)
I think I will put a log on Nelson's pen too. He would be in my backyard and no one goes back there- but you can never be too careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.