New Outdoor Enclosure for my Russian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

say10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
I finally talked my grandparents into building an outdoor enclosure, not exactly in the spot/way I wanted but, it came out great! I need to add some plants and hides. For now he has his big red house filled with Coco Coir and is plenty deep, just for him! Any suggestion on plants that he can have in there and can munch on? I bought some collard seeds to grow them and have plenty off succulents around the house to add in there.

All in all this costed around $100-$110.

It is 8ft by 4 ft. 12 inches deep with a ledge at the top just in case he attempts to break out.

Attachments

• DSCF9814.JPG
    DSCF9814.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • DSCF9846.JPG
    DSCF9846.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • DSCF9848.JPG
    DSCF9848.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • DSCF9850.JPG
    DSCF9850.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCF9854.JPG
    DSCF9854.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCF9857.JPG
    DSCF9857.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCF9860.JPG
    DSCF9860.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • DSCF9863.JPG
    DSCF9863.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • DSCF9865.JPG
    DSCF9865.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • DSCF9869.JPG
    DSCF9869.JPG
  • DSCF9872.JPG
    DSCF9872.JPG
  • DSCF9880.JPG
    DSCF9880.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well done! That's a nice size for one Russian tortoise, and you are allowing him the sun that he needs.

Have you seen some of the sites that carry mixed seeds that are good for these tortoises?
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41&sort=20a&page=2
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

You can sprout them in seed trays, and also in the enclosure (but you might have to close an area off so your tortoise doesn't trample them before they are sprouted). I have some in seed trays; I cut off 1/2 when they are several inches tall to feed the tortoises, and they continue to grow.

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
lynnedit said:
Well done! That's a nice size for one Russian tortoise, and you are allowing him the sun that he needs.

Have you seen some of the sites that carry mixed seeds that are good for these tortoises?
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41&sort=20a&page=2
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

You can sprout them in seed trays, and also in the enclosure (but you might have to close an area off so your tortoise doesn't trample them before they are sprouted). I have some in seed trays; I cut off 1/2 when they are several inches tall to feed the tortoises, and they continue to grow.
Thank you! I'll be looking into those! I don't have much of a green thumb!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Great size and love the house--very cute :D You say that the substrate is plenty deep? If the enclosure walls are 12 inches then how deep is the substrate---and the capped top ledges are fantastic...

I would suggest lots of plants for shade----on the house I would place a plant that can provide immediate shade over the house to help it keep a lower temp...it sitting directly in the sun with no shade over it can allow it to get hot really fast....I also would place a couple plants on that corner shelf ---this would also allow shade, when you provide shade with a plant then you actually can create a cooler spot by as much as 30 degrees---especially depending on what plants you use and that do well in your area...

Your enclosure absolutely needs a couple intense cooler shade spots to make sure your beautiful tort does not overheat..

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
ascott said:
Great size and love the house--very cute :D You say that the substrate is plenty deep? If the enclosure walls are 12 inches then how deep is the substrate---and the capped top ledges are fantastic...

I would suggest lots of plants for shade----on the house I would place a plant that can provide immediate shade over the house to help it keep a lower temp...it sitting directly in the sun with no shade over it can allow it to get hot really fast....I also would place a couple plants on that corner shelf ---this would also allow shade, when you provide shade with a plant then you actually can create a cooler spot by as much as 30 degrees---especially depending on what plants you use and that do well in your area...

Your enclosure absolutely needs a couple intense cooler shade spots to make sure your beautiful tort does not overheat..

Yes plants are defiantly needed! I've been researching a lot of kinds I can put in there for him and the substrate is about 3 inches deep, I'm adding more in the middle to add more of a hill in the middle to keep him entertained and encourage some burrowing. He was being kept in a small area, so I made this and will be getting the plants this weekend because I felt he needed more area to run in! Hes probably lapped it fifty times since I made it!

djblank

5 Year Member
Looks great!

Is it located in a area with a roof? if not is there a way for rain water to drain out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is looking really good. Job well done. I agree about the rain? If you drill a few drain holes throughout that will help the water to drain. Can't wait to see it finished with all the plants. Glad he is loving it.

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
djblank said:
Looks great!

Is it located in a area with a roof? if not is there a way for rain water to drain out?

Where his house is located the roof to our house overhangs above it to keep rain off it. During rain seasons, I'll be putting a tarp over his enclosure and we don't get too much rain here anyways so on rainy days I can bring him in :)

wellington said:
It is looking really good. Job well done. I agree about the rain? If you drill a few drain holes throughout that will help the water to drain. Can't wait to see it finished with all the plants. Glad he is loving it.

I'll be putting the tarp over it and he has a few feet over overhang from our roof on our house. We don't get a lot of rain here anyways so I'm not overly worried.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks good your grandpa is a good carpenter.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Adding substrate in the middle is a good idea. What about a burrow too? you can use 2 of the narrower concrete blocks, with the
8x16" pavers as the roof. Or a large clay pot turned on its side and submerged deeply so that only enough shows for your tortoise to get inside. Then mount the dirt up around and even on top of the hide. Nice cool spot to hang out in during the heat of the day.

Angela is right, pots (even one inside the enclosure) make nice shade. You can even put a board across one end and line pots with edible plants up on it. Plants help keep an area cooler just by being near it.

Status
Not open for further replies.