Russian outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
So I spent all of my Sunday building an outdoor enclosure/garden for my RT! I've still got to finish the lid and put up some taller wood to keep him from seeing out. I also need to add some more plants to provide shade until the seeds that I planted start to sprout!

It's 4ftx4ft and is all wood and chicken wire around the sides and the bottom to keep him from from digging out and so plants can grow! He is only a baby right now but I will definitely upgrade it when he gets bigger!

I will post more pictures when it's done!

Next project is to upsize my Sulcata's enclosure!

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364236739.586168.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364236764.317354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I like it! how big do you plan on making it for when he is an adult?

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Not sure yet! Probably at least double the size. It mostly depends on how much room I'll have because I plan on moving in the next 2-3 years. But of course ill make it as big as I can :D

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm planting a garden now, that I also plan to have as my Russian's enclosure for when I take him/her outside over the summer, and then for when he/she is bigger, and it is 20' by 30'. I hope that he/she will like that. :)

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Spn785 said:
I'm planting a garden now, that I also plan to have as my Russian's enclosure for when I take him/her outside over the summer, and then for when he/she is bigger, and it is 20' by 30'. I hope that he/she will like that. :)

Wow! Awesome! I wish I had room room for something that big!
I feel silly spending the time and money making something that will just be too small within the next few years but I wanted something manageable and that I could move if I absolutely had to. Of course, once plants start growing I won't be able to move it! :rolleyes: Plus I am a broke college student so I had to do it on a small budget!
What did you plant/what are you planning on growing?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I like it! the sun is covering half and there's shade on the other half DO you know how long during the day you get that light? It seems like the perfect lighting! Can't wait to see it finished!

Eloise said:
I like it! the sun is covering half and there's shade on the other half DO you know how long during the day you get that light? It seems like the perfect lighting! Can't wait to see it finished!

Sorry for the shouty "DO" should have been "do" ;)

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Eloise said:
It is completely in the sun from sun up to about 11/11:30 (so cooler part o the day). 1/4 shade from about 12 to 1:30. 1/2 shade from 1:30-3 (2nd hottest part of the day) and 3/4 shade from 3-4:30 (hottest part of the day). Just a rough estimate. It's not the best spot but I really did not have much of a choice. I wish it would stay that way all day!!!
I was really debating making something more portable but then I could not grow much in it. Food and size trumped portability lol. I can't wait either!!! :D

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
SmileyKylie623 said:
Spn785 said:

Wow! Awesome! I wish I had room room for something that big!
I feel silly spending the time and money making something that will just be too small within the next few years but I wanted something manageable and that I could move if I absolutely had to. Of course, once plants start growing I won't be able to move it! :rolleyes: Plus I am a broke college student so I had to do it on a small budget!
What did you plant/what are you planning on growing?

Yeah, one of the good things about owning your own home with a big yard. :D I am planning on planting bell peppers, onions, radishes, various lettuces, carrots, a blackberry bush, and maybe strawberries. I also plan on having a small herb garden with sage, horseradish, oregano, and a few other things. Mostly plants that I will eat part of and my tort will eat other parts of.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
UPDATE:

Well I won't be able to make the permanent lid this weekend so I improvised. I put 2 pieces of dog fencing on top to keep birds out for now. Today is his first day spending more than an hour outside and he really hasn't moved around much. Today's weather is not ideal either but he can still get some natural UV. I've still gotta add more plants (I'm working on growing some weeds and flowers in a pot which ill start to replant in the enclosure soon)

Here's an updated picture:
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364671232.082787.jpg

The light brown thing in the right corner is an upside down coco fiber plant liner that hold moisture well. I cut a hole in it to make it a hide. There is an organically planted jade plant, an agave plant and an aloe Vera plant both of which he is not allowed to eat yet as I replanted them in organic soil and I'm waiting for any pesticides to leech out. I put them in their for shade for now. I also transplanted a little patch of weeds for now.

What do ya think?! :D

Ps. If you look closely enough you can see him

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks great! He is so tiny now, that will work. You can try to sprout some weeds and greens in small pots, then rotate them through, submerged to soil level. Once gone, replace with a new one!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
lynnedit said:
That looks great! He is so tiny now, that will work. You can try to sprout some weeds and greens in small pots, then rotate them through, submerged to soil level. Once gone, replace with a new one!

Thanks! That's another goal of mine for the outdoor enclosure and for his indoor home! I'm just waiting on some more seeds to come in and then it'll be off to Home Depot to get some more organic soil and pots. After putting a patch of weeds in there today he promptly destroyed it so I definitely need to
get some kind of rotation going because it will take too long to grow back! Can't wait for the Aloe and agave to be ready so I can plant them in the ground too.

Only thing that is unfortunate is that I will be moving probably within the next 2 years and if I plant the agave and aloe I won't be able to take it with me! I might just leave the set up here with my parents ( I am living with them now while Im in college to save money) so if they ever have to tortoise sit he can will have somewhere stay! :p

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
I've used seed starter kits to great effect. They seem to start the seeds much faster than planting in a large pot. The brand I use (burpee) has a self watering mat and a clear lid to keep them humid. I just took chicory seeds from carolinapetsupply from seed to 1 inch sprouts in the last 36 hours, fwiw.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Steve_McQueen said:
I've used seed starter kits to great effect. They seem to start the seeds much faster than planting in a large pot. The brand I use (burpee) has a self watering mat and a clear lid to keep them humid. I just took chicory seeds from carolinapetsupply from seed to 1 inch sprouts in the last 36 hours, fwiw.

I've seen similar kits at my local Walmart and Home Depot! I'll have to give it a try! I have mine growing in a plastic shed outside which is definitely been helping keeping the plants moist and warm and they have been growing really well so far!
Thanks! :D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Russians are great diggers; Is there anything to keep him from digging under the wall?

Do you have any predators in your area; if so, you may need a heaver wire for the sides.

Good luck!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
WillTortoise said:
Russians are great diggers; Is there anything to keep him from digging under the wall?

Do you have any predators in your area; if so, you may need a heaver wire for the sides.

Good luck!

I have chicken wire under so he can't dig out. The only predators that would be wanting to go after a tortoise would be local cats and birds. Our Dachshund has the run of the property though and so we don't even have a cat problem anymore. I was afraid that the dog would be obsessed but so far he has not shown any interest probably because he is so small.
I only put him out when someone can supervise and the dog can be locked up.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Everything looks pretty good to me! And you have a very good looking tortoise!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Nice job!! Your little guy is one lucky tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.