New leopard keeper in the UK

seasider

Hi all am a new keeper in the Uk, I have a leopard I have got him of a young lad that lost interest in him really and I don't think he really gave him the right diet or lighting,I have really fallen for the little guy and just want to do the best for him,I have done loads off research,I have got a uv bulb and started Letting weeds grow in my garden I find my self looking a big dandelion leafs and think wow he'd love them lol,

Herbert is 3 or 4 I think I had him 3 months and his weight is going up really fast.

24-4-15 314grams
26-5-15 334grams
30-6-15 351grams

Has anyone got any tips or advice :-
For a new very keen keeper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's never to late to start from scratch and read the care sheets, making adjustments to your tortoise-keeping accordingly. We have a lovely care sheet pinned at the top of the Leopard section. It would also be helpful to you to read the sulcata care sheets that are pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. Care of the two species is pretty much the same. There's a good one called Mistakes made by Beginners that is a good read.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO! Make sure the UV bulb isn't one of those coil style bulbs....not good for your tort (I had one and thankfully got some good advice to get rid of it). I use a Powersun mercury vapor bulb and my torts have done really well since I switched.