New(ish) Tortoise family

catherineannaraye

Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge
Hi! Weve had our little Russian Tortoise since March. Got him from a local seller at a reptile show. My boys named him "Tiddles".

We had him in a huge (home made) box tank. I had a combination heat/uv light, hides, several different ground types, ect.

He disnt seem happy... he just started staying in one corner under his light and would bury himself almost ALL day and night.

So yesterday I brought home a 40 gallon terrarium with seperate basking and uva/uvb lights and I filled the whole thing with the substrate that was in his favorite corner of his old box.

Maybe he was just bored before? Because in less than 24 hours, hes very alert and exploring his new tank. His favorite spot is on top of a log. Under his basking lamp, but he used his new hide cave last night. He has been in his water dish. You can see hes digging around...nicholas more active

Just looking for any suggestions and advice

Ps- he is a picky eater. He loves romain lettuce... but when I try to feed him other greens (collards, arugula, dandelion, ect) he barely touches them...

20200622_074522.jpg20200621_123405.jpg20200622_072751.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Normally we tell people to get the Russian tortoise out of the aquarium and make him a larger area to live in, but you've done it backwards. I think maybe the tortoise was just stressed from being moved from the pet store to a new area. It sometimes takes a couple weeks for the tortoise to realize he's safe and he can come out and explore.

catherineannaraye

Woodbridge
Hi, and welcome!

Normally we tell people to get the Russian tortoise out of the aquarium and make him a larger area to live in, but you've done it backwards. I think maybe the tortoise was just stressed from being moved from the pet store to a new area. It sometimes takes a couple weeks for the tortoise to realize he's safe and he can come out and explore.

We had him for 4 months? And this tank is only about 6 inches shorter (in the width) than his last one. It's not much smaller than the other

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
The other one was too small as well. adult russian should have @ 4'x8'