New inside enclosure for my Cherry hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I just worked on this Monday and currently it is under going hatchling testing to see how workable it is. :D My daughter just moved into her own house these last couple of weeks (and boy do my back and wallet hurt:D). She wanted me to fix her an glass enclosure with "some cute baby tortoise" for the focal point in her front room. I instantly thought the new Cheryheads would work well for her. This is the basic set up I made for her.

An outside overview. I picked up the wrong log hide at home, so I need to switch it for one just a little smaller.
036-2.jpg

Looking down into the enclosure.
038-2.jpg

I used just a couple of very basic and easy to care for plants.
041-2.jpg

"Can't a girl have some privacy?"
050-1.jpg

The water dish was just a little deep, but I had wanted to have an excuse to use these glass pebbles for awhile.
039-2.jpg

046-2.jpg

Something about this rock really fascinated him. He kept trying to eat it. too. :D
042-2.jpg

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
That's really pretty. What size tank is that?

I was wondering if phothos were safe to use. I'd like to use them in one of my enclosures. Do they try to eat them?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice Jacqui, I am sure the little cutie loves to live in it :D :cool:
Hermy was trying to eat the rock at first (There are rocks like that in his enclosure), I really do not know why lol, I do not think it look tasty.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I read pothos weren't safe for tortoises. ?

How long do you think that'll last them?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Very nice. What size tank is that? I love the pansies. What kind of heating are you using?
When Pio was little I used them a lot. Now if I put one in his viv, it's gone by the next day. He really loves them. There's no more pansies around here until Spring, or I would have put some in Solo's viv.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
goReptiles said:
I read pothos weren't safe for tortoises. ?

Pothos is inadvisable to use as a tortoise food because it is high in oxalates, which can cause calcium absorption problems. However, if pothos isn't the only plant your torts have access to and they're well fed, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. This would be especially true for Asian tortoises, as they and pothos share a natural range.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Something about this rock really fascinated him. He kept trying to eat it. too. :D

Very pretty babies, surely enjoying their new habitat. When I observed one of my little leos trying to bite a rock, I chose that moment to give them a cuttlebone and they spent the rest of the evening biting the cuttlebone!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very nice looking enclosure Jacqui your daughter should be loving it. Loved the part where "your back and your wallet are hurting you". :D :p

allegraf

10 Year Member!
It looks wonderful. BTW, the red dots on their shells are non-toxic acrylic paint that will come off with a toothbrush and water. They look happy!

Allegra

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Yes ! it is very nice!
I do have to admit I am curious how you got it to work, after just struggling with what I think was a similiar setup. Of course climate plays a huge role, that or I'm just an idiot. Entirely possible, have been accused of that a time or two :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cherbear said:
That's really pretty. What size tank is that?

I was wondering if phothos were safe to use. I'd like to use them in one of my enclosures. Do they try to eat them?
Pothos are like many other plants, safe to use in certain situations and/or as a LIMITED food. Redffots seem to have no issues with them. None of these guys even have looked closely at them. Unlike the rock one wanted to munch one. :rolleyes: Now if this setup were for say a sulcata, I would not be using them. So it's a matter of knowing your tortoises and then watching them.

goReptiles said:
How long do you think that'll last them?

The size I would love to have it last til spring. :rolleyes: Honestly, I have another tank already set up in a spare bedroom my daughter has given me use of for babies (tortoises) and plants. [We went that way so I would not have to drag plants upstairs at my home for the winter and so the babies will get closer attention then they would at my home with my caretaker while I am out on the road.] So as the little ones grow, one can be moved into the next tank.

Or did you mean, how long til they total the plants and stuff? :D It's been a week and nothing has been moved or eaten. :p

TortyQueen said:
Jacqui said:

Very pretty babies, surely enjoying their new habitat. When I observed one of my little leos trying to bite a rock, I chose that moment to give them a cuttlebone and they spent the rest of the evening biting the cuttlebone!

So far, only the rock held interest. The cuttlebone is ignored. This guy did several beak scrappings, before he decided it was not going to be a food source. :D

Candy said:
Very nice looking enclosure Jacqui your daughter should be loving it. Loved the part where "your back and your wallet are hurting you". :D :p

To be honest, I don't think any of the three children of mine who have saw it, have been at all impressed. :( I think they are just to use to seeing ones like it. Yeah, well between buying her simple household basics and having three of them with major car problems (each over the $500 tune) and me having really wanted to get a couple of Tom's leopard hatchlings, I can't say I am loving it. :(:p

Status
Not open for further replies.