New Horsefeilds

My_Coffee_Loves_Me

Location (City and/or State)
Rutland VT
These two are giving me a hard time.
I adopted them from a woman who had them for 20+ years took good care of them but was moving to Hawaii for her husbands job and by law could not take them.
I am not new to reptiles or tortoises and expected an easy addition to my home. They've been anything but. They won't eat, they hide, in their previous cage they hid together but it was far too small so now they have a very large enclosure and stay separate but don't move. They've picked their spots and stay there for days. I put them at their food plate and they just go back to their spot. UBV is new, T5 10.0, heat is good 95 basking, ambient is 75 in the shade/hide 80 or so elsewhere.
I've had them for a month, they went to the vet the second week just for a general check in. I only had a single fecal but it was clean. Any ideas?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome and please include photos of the enclosure, setup and of course the Torts. And remmeber "Torting Ain't Easy"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

If they've lived at their previous home as long as you were told they had, then they're having a hard time making the change to a new "territory."

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but 5.5x5 is not big enough for ONE adult russian, let alone two. Is there any way to set these tortoises up in a safe and secure outdoor enclosure/yard? They do much better out in the real sun with plenty of room to wander (wandering helps keep the digestive tract healthy).