my new Russian torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hey, for christmas I got 2 Russian tortoises, Lazarus and Icarus.

I just wanted some advice about my set up and their behavior.

I got them a couple of days ago, I've been feeding them cauliflower leaves with sprinkled Calcium as a supplement, they've been eating about 2 to 3 leaves each a day. They've been digging in the corners of the tank quite often, either that or sleeping in the hut, today I don't think they came out of it much at all. I'm worried about the Bulb, it being the only source of heat that they're getting, and I haven't bought a thermometer yet, but I will do very soon. And the substrate, I heard that it wasn't good for them and that I should switch, but what to? They've been defecating often and sometimes eating it aswell. I'm aware that the tank isn't that big, but I plan on changing when they grow.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Tortoises.jpg
    Tortoises.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 80

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
you should get some cypress mulch get rid of the pellets. you need a good thermometer. what kind of light do you have now?

mahons

5 Year Member
England
I don't know the type of light sorry, my dad bought it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
eating poop is normal so don't worry about it.

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
the names from greek mythology.. clever.. knida ironic though.
they have a little pyramiding going on.. but they are super cute..
ever since i watched that tortoise chasing a tomato vid, i've wanted a russian. i'm thinking of buying one next year..
the pellets should go, but you can use any type of other substrate.. since they are adults they don't need as much humidity as adults (they need some though) i use cypress on 2/3 and eco earth on 1/3 my greek hatchlings seem to like it
anywhoo, congrats on the new torts.. they are fun little creatures :)

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
The best food you can give them would be Spring Mix that you find at the grocery store. You should also add weeds such as dandylion as the weather permits. Make sure the spring mix you get doesnt have spinach in it, or pull it out before feeding to them.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Based on russiantortoise.org, they should be fed greens in the winter and weeds in the summer. They should also be fed flowers such as hibiscus, nasturtium, ganazia, violets, etc in the winter. Don't give them vegetables such as broccoli, beans, potatoes, etc. Same goes for fruit and meat.
I recommend a substrate of 50/50 topsoil and play sand. This substrate allows them to burrow and is MUCH better than pellets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think in England, what you would buy for your Russian is called Rocket Salad. That's equivalent to what we call Spring Mix. Then to the Rocket, you would add whatever you can find outside, like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves. You really need to feed a wider variety of dark, leafy greens than just the cauliflower leaves. There is a forum based in England. Don't know if you're familiar with it:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Nice torts Congrats. Wish i got another for xmas :) You will enhoy hem each russian i have has a different personality. They are neat to watch and very lovable.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
I think in England, what you would buy for your Russian is called Rocket Salad. That's equivalent to what we call Spring Mix. Then to the Rocket, you would add whatever you can find outside, like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves. You really need to feed a wider variety of dark, leafy greens than just the cauliflower leaves. There is a forum based in England. Don't know if you're familiar with it:

Rocket salad sounds a lot cooler than spring mix.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I had my little guy on pellets when I first got him and it smelled :p I changed to coconut coir/cypress mulch mix and he loves to dig in it! I get two different kinds of veggies a week and then sometimes spring mix. Once spring comes around I will feed him weeds too :) Can you ask your dad what bulb he got? Because Russians like most torts need UVB/UVA rays. The best source of them is the sun obviously but you probably need either a UVB bulb or you should get an MVB. MVBs have UVB/UVA rays AND heat so you'll be getting more heat than just that bulb. If you look on the bulb it might say what kind it is.

Plus, pellets get all mushy and gross and can't hold humidity that might cause more pyramiding.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
dmmj said:
emysemys said:

Rocket salad sounds a lot cooler than spring mix.

lol your right dmmj!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
abra said:
I get two different kinds of veggies a week and then sometimes spring mix.

What veggies do you feed your Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.