New home, New Hermanns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wndwlckr

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on the enclosure for my two new baby Hermanns which I'll be getting in a week or so!

I'm using an under-bed plastic bin for the enclosure. It's about 43" long, 20" wide, and 7" tall. I'll be hanging the lighting above the enclosure once I get the fixtures and bulbs-- I'll also post an updated picture with the lighting and stuff.

I also have two hides, one on the warm side and one on the cooler side. I read on the forums that it's a good idea to have a humid hide, so I'll put some sphagnum moss in one of the hides. I have a water dish and a shallow food bowl (not pictured).

I read on the forums that a good substrate is organic soil mixed with about 30% eco earth/coconut-- So I have that all set up along with some transplanted organically grown romaine, cat grass, collards, chard, and an aloe plant (for the warm side).

Here's a picture-- Let me know what ya think!
Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 76

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Wndwlckr:

That's a very nice habitat. Nice and roomy with plenty of things to keep the baby occupied.

I have one suggestion for you, though, before the plants start growing too well. Some tortoises use things that are placed along the walls of the habitat as ladders. In my opinion, I think you should move them inward a bit so they are slightly away from the wall. Otherwise, very nice!!

Wndwlckr

5 Year Member
emysemys - Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought about that-- :D

movealongmosey - Haha, from what I heard they are little vacuums! I may have to switch to a couple artificial plants for hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.