New Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
I just came home with my new Hermanns tortoise, Eloise! Very excited. Its only a few inches, just a baby :) My mercury bulb worked for 20 seconds before dying so ordered a new one that should be here tomorrow....anyone have a recommendation on their favorite...Also her shell is a but lopsided. When you are looking at her head on, the right front side slopes lower than the left...do these things correct with time, is there something I should be worried about or doing?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Congrats on your new tort! I don't know a darn thing about Hermanns but someone will be able to help you shortly. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your bulb might still be fine. They sometimes cut off and on like that and they have an automatic time-delay on the restart. Just leave it plugged in for an hour or so, and I bet it will kick its self back on and stay lit.

Is your tort a brand new hatchling? Sometimes they come out lopsided and sometimes it will straighten its self out.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Congratulations! I'd be interested to see pictures of your new friend - I have a Hermann's, too.

Missniecie

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice on the bulb, I will definitely try that as I feel almost spastic about doing everything right for this little bugger. I live in freezing MN, already below freezing at night, and do not see Eloise getting any natural light for a while :( I am not sure exactly how old she is, but I would assume fairly fresh based on her size, her shell seems soft as well...

I will get pictures up in the next couple of days...of course she arrives on one of my long days of week so I went to pick her up, got her set up and have to wait until later tonight to really check her out!

Missniecie

5 Year Member
The bulb works :) Thanks Tom! I ran back home to check on her and she is actively checking out her home, got into her calcium and ate some grape leaves from my yard :)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Congrats on the new one! Seems like everyone is getting Hermanns these days.

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
Terry Allan Hall said:
jackrat said:
Congrats on the new one! Seems like everyone is getting Hermanns these days.

They've been the "cool" tortoise since 1867... :p

I knew my little one had that ultra cool look! ;)
Congrats with your new baby tort!

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome from the uk, I just got a baby hermanns too, but mine is a 1 yr old. I panicking too about being a new mumma... Love my baby already he seems to have so much personality. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.