New Hermann's hatchling is home! Have a question!

Jami

Hello everyone! My new hatchling from tortoise supply is here. Gorgeous tort! My 1st one, HermIt NEVER burrowed. I unpacked the new baby, soaked, put in enclosure. He went to basking area, pooped, and went to the side of the hut (on warm side). I showed him the entrance, he ran in and promptly buried himself completely. In the substrate. Way deep. At first when I lifted the hut I could see his shell. Now nothing. He can breathe right? He's supposed to do this, right? I'm freaking out here. He didn't eat. I'll get him later and see if he wants to. Do I just leave him under there?!?!image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

jaredherman

5 Year Member
Dont worry its completely normal. My little guy buried himself alot when i first got him.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Yep, he's fine. To him this whole thing is scary and you are a big monster that will eat him. Digging in is his way to hide and babies hide a lot anyway. Will take time to make him feel safe. Take him out for soaks and keep offering fresh food.

Jami

Yep, he's fine. To him this whole thing is scary and you are a big monster that will eat him. Digging in is his way to hide and babies hide a lot anyway. Will take time to make him feel safe. Take him out for soaks and keep offering fresh food.
Ok - thanks. Like I said, HermIt never ever burrowed at all. He is cute!! Thanks!

Jami

Yeah the little guy is just fine. Will take a bit for them to adjust and eat.
Ok, thanks. He looks really good. Different from HermIt, which is good. I'm so glad he's ok under there. I hope he can get out! I'm going to leave him alone and just see what happens. Hope he feels more comfortable soon!