New Hermanns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolehh11

5 Year Member
I got my new baby Hermanns tortoise yesterday and he is so cute! After looking on here and browsing online at all the tortoise names I settled on Sheldon and I think it fits him perfectly. He is fitting in well, he got some mustard greens and napa cabbage for breakfast and I bought some timothy hay and put a little in the corner (his tub is really bare until I can get grass to grow) and he burrowed right underneath it. Would it be okay if I put some more hay in there to not make it look so bare?

Attachments

• IMAG0072_Medium.jpg
    IMAG0072_Medium.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0071_Medium.jpg
    IMAG0071_Medium.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0074_Medium.jpg
    IMAG0074_Medium.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 58

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
You can but hay will mold when it gets wet so it not sugested as a substrate but a small amount should not be an issue if you change it out on a regular basis...

You have a nice little tortoise there...

nicolehh11

5 Year Member
Thanks dmarcus, changing it out regularly isn't an issue, I'll keep an eye out for when it needs changed out. I hope to go rock hunting this weekend and find some flat rocks to put in there for him to climb on. I'm kind of iffy about putting in fake plants for the fear he will chomp on them...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Most of them know the fake plants are not food when they try to taste it but of course you never know what they will do...

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Very cute!

Oh, and I have several fake (silk) plants in with my Hermanns to spruce the place up a bit and I have never seen him bite them, nor do they seem damaged. Just an FYI.

nicolehh11

5 Year Member
llaperle said:
Very cute!

Oh, and I have several fake (silk) plants in with my Hermanns to spruce the place up a bit and I have never seen him bite them, nor do they seem damaged. Just an FYI.

Thanks Lori! I may make a trip to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and see if I can find something, seems like they always have a sale and can be cheaper than Petsmart/Petco!

Status
Not open for further replies.