burrowing, Help with Newton! My new baby hermanns

TimCarpenter

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
i recently brought home my new baby hermanns tortoise and i couldn't be happier! my only concern is with how much he seems to burrow. i am aware that tortoises do like to burrow so if i'm being paranoid just let me know but the first time he did it was on the first night which makes sense. he burrowed right underneath the basking lamp after i turned it off. then the next day he seemed to do it more often like when he got too hot rather than just moving over to his hide which is close by. is this normal? should i move him to his hide when i see him burrow during the day just to kind of show him that that is what its for or should i just leave him be? thanks for the help!

Too long didn't read: my new baby hermanns likes to burrow rather than go to his hide. should i move him to his hide when he burrows? or just leave him be?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I had to show my baby her hide multiple times before she would use it. At night when it was lighs out time, I pick her up and move her in it. Some times they get stuck on a spot and then you may have to move it. Especially if they are picking for the right temps.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will just leave it. my torts will rotate where they sleep. I will not to concern of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Leave him be, tortoises like to burrow. They do it for safety, they do it to control their temp, they do it because they are tortoises.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
My tort is just a few weeks short of a year now, and JUST started using his hide about 2 months ago. Before, he burrowed down in random spots in the coir and moss every night. Now he does the same thing, just in his hide. :p

Jami

newton does seem relatively calm and comfortable when im around though. just when he's by himself he goes down
Hi! I just got my new baby Hermanns today. He's very different from my first 1. He's gorgeous like the 1st 1 but he is adjusting by burrowing completely. My 1st did not ever burrow, so this is interesting to me and I was panicked earlier. He popped out a bit ago so I soaked him and rinsed him off, showed him more food. What'd he do? Tromp right back into the hide and dug under. No eating. He's so dang cute but I can't believe they can breathe under there!

My breeder, Tyler from tortoise supply, was great when I panicked and sent me an email and got me to relax. That helped. Glad to see something similar with someone else's. Aren't they wonderful creatures? I was worried about all the dirt around his eyes but I'm trying not to interfere with him too much...have fun with your little one!

Jami

Also wanted to say people here helped me relax too! Love TF!

TimCarpenter

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hi! I just got my new baby Hermanns today. He's very different from my first 1. He's gorgeous like the 1st 1 but he is adjusting by burrowing completely. My 1st did not ever burrow, so this is interesting to me and I was panicked earlier. He popped out a bit ago so I soaked him and rinsed him off, showed him more food. What'd he do? Tromp right back into the hide and dug under. No eating. He's so dang cute but I can't believe they can breathe under there!

My breeder, Tyler from tortoise supply, was great when I panicked and sent me an email and got me to relax. That helped. Glad to see something similar with someone else's. Aren't they wonderful creatures? I was worried about all the dirt around his eyes but I'm trying not to interfere with him too much...have fun with your little one!
they really are! it drives me crazy that he doesnt just hang out somewhere that i can see him all the time. but if he like it then im all for it. thanks for the peace of mind : )

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just FYI, they don't like to hang out, for a tortoise being out in the open, means you are pray for something bigger. Over time they will realize, you mean no harm, and you are the bringer of yummy food, then you won't be able to get rid of them.

Flipper

MO, USA
I've had my little Hermann's tortoise about a month now :) she digs in her substrate and goes into her pot with sphagnum moss (especially at night) but during the day she is mostly out and about.

I think they dig if feeling insecure and/or to regulate their temp/humidity. I have a few plants in her habitat that she chills next to when awake. I think the plants make her feel safe and protected.

Do you have any plants/small bushes in your enclosure to offer security?

TimCarpenter

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I've had my little Hermann's tortoise about a month now :) she digs in her substrate and goes into her pot with sphagnum moss (especially at night) but during the day she is mostly out and about.

I think they dig if feeling insecure and/or to regulate their temp/humidity. I have a few plants in her habitat that she chills next to when awake. I think the plants make her feel safe and protected.

Do you have any plants/small bushes in your enclosure to offer security?
nope, but i'm thinking about adding some at some point when i get a better understanding of what to put in and how to make sure its safe (as in fertilizers and pesticides and such)

Flipper

MO, USA
I bet he'll dig less then :) mine really likes the asparagus fern :tort:

Jami

Just FYI, they don't like to hang out, for a tortoise being out in the open, means you are pray for something bigger. Over time they will realize, you mean no harm, and you are the bringer of yummy food, then you won't be able to get rid of them.
I can't wait for him to figure it out and not be scared of me! He doesn't show interest in food today, which is understandable since he had a long flight and is meeting new monsters!