New Herman

unclerick

Location (City and/or State)
N Ireland
Hi Guys just saying hello we just got a baby herman yesterday, looking forward to some good advice [emoji6]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from the other side of the Irish Sea. I am in Kent; it’s nice to have someone from Northern Ireland here :)

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them to your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Care - written about Russians, but applies to Hermann’s
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

We are more than happy to look over photos of the enclosure and lighting to see if we can make any recommendations :)

unclerick

N Ireland
Hello and welcome from the other side of the Irish Sea. I am in Kent; it’s nice to have someone from Northern Ireland here :)

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them to your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Testudo Care - written about Russians, but applies to Hermann’s
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

We are more than happy to look over photos of the enclosure and lighting to see if we can make any recommendations :)
That would be great but I can't seem to upload a photo [emoji85]any ideas

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A few obvious things:

That substrate has white bits in it. It may be sold for tortoises, but those white bits encourage the tortoise to eat the substrate which is bad. It needs to be a plain earthy type without fertilisers or white bits like calcium pieces or vermiculite. It’s far cheaper from a garden centre or Amazon than a pet store. Coco Coir and fine grade orchid bark are popular here.

Those reptile bowls are a tipping hazard. A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the wrong side of a wall tile, make a good rough plate that helps keep the beak in a shape. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a safe water dish that your tort can drink from easily - surround it with stones to help stop the substrate being dragged in.

There doesn’t appear to be anything for your tort to hide under. An upturned plastic tub with a door cut in it will do the job.

Without a closed chamber (a covered enclosure) it is impossible to maintain the high humidity and temperatures a baby needs. Some people use a plant tent like this to make a closed chamber.

The best type of thermometer for checking spot temperatures is a temperature gun like this It must be 35-37C directly under that basking lamp. Raise or lower the lamp to get the right temperature.

Does that basking lamp give off UVB too?

Those links I gave will explain a lot.

unclerick

N Ireland
A few obvious things:

That substrate has white bits in it. It may be sold for tortoises, but those white bits encourage the tortoise to eat the substrate which is bad. It needs to be a plain earthy type without fertilisers or white bits like calcium pieces or vermiculite. It’s far cheaper from a garden centre or Amazon than a pet store. Coco Coir and fine grade orchid bark are popular here.

Those reptile bowls are a tipping hazard. A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the wrong side of a wall tile, make a good rough plate that helps keep the beak in a shape. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a safe water dish that your tort can drink from easily - surround it with stones to help stop the substrate being dragged in.

There doesn’t appear to be anything for your tort to hide under. An upturned plastic tub with a door cut in it will do the job.

Without a closed chamber (a covered enclosure) it is impossible to maintain the high humidity and temperatures a baby needs. Some people use a plant tent like this to make a closed chamber.

The best type of thermometer for checking spot temperatures is a temperature gun like this It must be 35-37C directly under that basking lamp. Raise or lower the lamp to get the right temperature.

Thankyou ill start upgrading

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just thinking could I just get a piece of glass made and set it on top x of the enclosure to help with the heat.
Cheers
Rick

You can, but the lights need to go under it or there needs to be holes for the lights to shine through. Glass is quite heavy and you are going to have to remove it every day to clean up, feed and water your tort. Plexiglas (perspex) would be better

unclerick

N Ireland
A few obvious things:

Ok so he now has somewhere to hide [emoji6] and I have bought the coco brick which I will sort out tomorrow. I also have a little thermometer to check basking temp and I have ordered the temp gun you suggested and the lamp I have gives off UV but I checked the price from where I bought it from and the bulb alone was 35 pound and I saw one this evening in another local pet store for 15 pound and it was the same make and wattage. Looks like I was well taken for a ride lol