From Cork, Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakebits

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cork
Hello everyone,

I have been looking into tortoises the last 4 years on and off - I wanted to wait until I could afford a proper set-up.

I went into a pet shop yesterday and bought a 4ft vivarium and a deposit on a tortoise.
The girl in the shop had just the one 2 year old Herman and is giving her supplier a call to see what is available.
Being honest I would have taken the Herman but she told me to wait until she has the full list (I think its mostly Herman and Horsefield's that the supplier has).

Anyway, once I get the call to see what is available I will post, all advice is very helpful as I want to get everything right from the off.

vicvera

5 Year Member
Aylesbury, UK
Hi, this is a great site, very helpful and friendly. Have you visited 'The Tortoise Table' on line? great info on what to feed and what not. Just had some good info on heat/uvb (thanks Hlogic/Tom) i'm opting for Mercury Vapour bulb as it seems to meet all the requirements. Hope this is helpful.

cakebits

5 Year Member
Cork
Used to sell those MBFU/Mercury Vapour lamps, its the business I am in.

I was wondering about Dandelions, is it the leaf / the flower / or both that I should use as feed.
Also, I have a lot of clover in the garden but I am not sure if it is the right type, so I might post it up if thats ok.

vicvera

5 Year Member
Aylesbury, UK
All dandelion, clover as part of a varied diet. MVB'S bit expensive arn't they, you should be ok though :). We had problems what to feed, there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice. All I know is very little fruit, only for a treat and avoid tomatoes unless you need to give oral medication. Garden weeds are the thing, I've started go grow my own from seed. Also 'Cuttle fish bone' they love it, a good source of calcium. Nutrobal as a multivitamin supplement. 'The Tortoise Table' is about the best site I've been on although there are others.

cakebits

5 Year Member
Cork
Thanks for the advice folks.

Hope to hear back from the pet shop soon regarding whats available.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to the forum. Best of Luck on your new Tort. I am sure you will be back with pictures once you have picked up the little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cakebits:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

cakebits

5 Year Member
Cork
Hi folks,

The woman from the pet shop called back.

She said that the supplier has all types available but mostly Horsefields, Hermans, Red foot and Leopard.

I was wondering if any of yee lads had a preference or advice.

Thanks again for your replies.

Name is Davitt by the way.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
cakebits said:
Used to sell those MBFU/Mercury Vapour lamps, its the business I am in.

I was wondering about Dandelions, is it the leaf / the flower / or both that I should use as feed.
Also, I have a lot of clover in the garden but I am not sure if it is the right type, so I might post it up if thats ok.

Dandelions and clover are both good :)

If I were you I would get a red foot, they are so gorgeous and when I see people on here with them I love the personality they have, try checking out some threads on each and go from there. They seem really cool, I don't have one so it is just what I have seen from others :) Good Luck, welcome to TFO and let us know what you decide.

cakebits

5 Year Member
Cork
cheers, will be doing a lot of reading up over the weekend before I decide which tortoise is for me.

I used to always lean more toward either a horsefield or a herman but will look at the other options too before deciding.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Welcome!!!!! It's great to have you here. I LOVE seeing people from around the world join our forum! It's so exciting! We're looking forward to seeing some pics once you make your decision. There are all kinds of topics posted on the different tortoises you have to choose from. Anytime you have questions, ask!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.