New here - with hatchling EBT

Sunbunny

Hello, everyone! My young son and I have a hatchling EBT (hatched in October) that we've had since Dec. I've been lurking on the forums for a while, and look forward to interacting with you all. Our little EBT seems to have an issue with his shell not keeping up with the rest of him, so I'll post some pics and an explanation in the help forum. I'm sure we've just missed doing something just right, and we want to fix it! We love our little guy (girl?) and look forward to helping him improve.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Hi and welcome! I have two box turtles myself, both turning 3 years old this summer. Please post a pic, that would be great. Also, if you can post a pic of his/her enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When it looks like baby box turtles' shells are not growing properly, it can be traced back (usually) to an improper diet and lack of sunshine (UVB). Tell us a bit about your care for this baby.

...and Welcome to our Forum!

Sunbunny

Thanks! And oh my gosh, I looked at him just now and it looks like the scutes are separating. Good grief, the problems come up so fast! Anyway, I'd swear that his shell looked ok just a day or so ago and now I'm really worried. The turtle otherwise is active and loves to be in the water, where he has a daily paddle.
We feed: dry T-Rex box turtle food, moistened, live redworms every other day or so, crickets on occasion, a variety of fruits & vegetables, chopped up (or not, as you might see from the cantaloupe currently in the tank). I sprinkle calcium on the moistened turtle kibble, but I have no idea how much the little guy is consuming.
I do suspect some kind of deficiency, possibly UV, because he has had a habit of scooting out from the light and getting into his little cave very quickly. Sunlight, same thing. If that seems to be the problem, I think that we're to take the cave away and make sure he gets UV daily - is that right? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
I'm having trouble uploading photos, but will try again shortly.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No, do not take the cave away. That will stress him out, and box turtles do not like overly bright lighting. I would get him some cuttlebone and keep it in the enclosure for him to nibble on when he wants/needs it. My boxies devour theirs. I raised my boxies with a black moonglo bulb for heat, a 5.0 UVB bulb (18 inch), and cuttlebone in the enclosure at all times. I fed them Reptomin (moistened) once a week for the extra vitamins. I just mashed it up with spring mix. Can you please share a pic of the shell so we can see what/if there is a problem? Do not take the cave away.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome and you have all the experts here to help you. hope your little one will get well soon.

Welcome and good to have you here.

Sunbunny

I won't take his cave away. I definitely don't want to stress the little guy. I had read somewhere, I'm not sure where, I've been reading a lot in order to do my best...anyway, I'd read that somebody had taken their turtles into sunlight/UVB, monitored, but without cover so that they can get the light they need. I will keep trying to upload the photos. I'm not sure why it won't upload, but I'm persistent. THANK YOU for the advice. I want what's best for him. Cuttlebone is coming today and I'll go look for Reptomin today.

mikeh

5 Year Member
What kind of reptile UVB light are you using?

Sunbunny

Argh, still can't get any pics to upload.
The UVB light is a flourescent bar, 18" 15 watt, states "Tropical 25", if that means anything. I think part of the issue is that he doesn't hang out under it for long, though he did stay out for 2 hours yesterday night, which is unusual.
Cuttlebone is in the tank now. Let's see if he goes for it. I'm kicking myself for missing that earlier.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Argh, still can't get any pics to upload.
The UVB light is a flourescent bar, 18" 15 watt, states "Tropical 25", if that means anything. I think part of the issue is that he doesn't hang out under it for long, though he did stay out for 2 hours yesterday night, which is unusual.
Cuttlebone is in the tank now. Let's see if he goes for it. I'm kicking myself for missing that earlier.

from my understand if it's anything like the tropical light i used to have they put out very little UVB at 4inches mine would only put out 50 micorwatts and less the higher up you got past 12 inches and it's rendered useless

Sunbunny

It's 10" off the substrate bottom, and covers more than 1/2 the tank in length (which is 30"). It's a bar, 1 light, so covers about 1/2 the width of the tank as well.

mikeh

5 Year Member
It's 10" off the substrate bottom, and covers more than 1/2 the tank in length (which is 30"). It's a bar, 1 light, so covers about 1/2 the width of the tank as well.
Zoomed reptisum T8 10.0 either 18" or 22". Stay away from Zilla brand.
But still would like to see a photo of the turtle and habitat to be sure the light is appropriate.

Sunbunny

I think this is a Zoo Med light. I will have to go check to see if it's the right strength by going to the store tomorrow again and matching it up. On another note, I am stymied by the photo upload. I continue to get errors. I will keep trying.
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the help. I am worried, but hoping I can turn it around with the advice I'm getting.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Eastern Box turtles come from wooded areas with lots of leaf litter and humidity with sun filtered through the trees. Box turtle hatchlings stay hidden under the moist leaf litter eating any little buggie thing that comes by, or new shoots just coming out of the ground.
I keep hatchlings in a 20 gal. tank with a 5.0 long tube UVB and a 60 wt heat emitter on one side, on top of a screen cover. I cover the rest of the screen with clear wrapping tape to keep in the humidity. I don't use hides, but I put a lot of leaf litter on one side for them to dig under. A water dish (terra cotta...for under a plant) and a flat piece of slate for feeding on. A few pieces of cuttle bone and some plants to hold in the humidity. They stay in this set up until they are about 3 and then they go outside. This site is the best site for raising baby box turtles. It has plenty of pictures too. It's my favorite site. Good luck with your baby.....they are the cutest!
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

M

Maggie Cummings

You got some pretty good advice from Terry. She's our resident box turtle expert. I also have a hatchling box turtle and I don't have a hide for him. He is in a plastic bin with almost wet substrate, plants and a water dish. My little one digs in under a leaf after he eats. When I put him out in the sun I put a piece of lattice over him so the Blue Jays don't take off with him. The sun rays bounce around so I think that even tho he's relatively shady, the sun rays get to him anyway. At least that's what my sis says...