Eastern box turtle questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, Mo
We are considering an EBT baby. My question is, is it really that much more difficult than a Iberian Greek. We have crested geckos and are used to the whole humidity thing, we understand the diets are different with the EBT & the greek.... Just not sure why everyone says the EBT is hard to care for.
We have been reading books and online for about 6 months.
Just when we get it narrowed down, we keep going back and forth between these two.
EBT is native to our area, so we thought that it would enjoy our weather when it is old enough to go outside.

Any thoughts?
Than you in advance:)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!
I have easterns!!
I did not have them when
they were babies tho. Mine are
adults and very easy to take care
of! Hopefully someone will reply
that knows more about baby ebt's.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Would you say they are very difficult? Have you owner any other turtles or Tortoise before, just curious ;)

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
the biggest thing for babies is to have somewhere for them to dig into to hide . not hay but a dirt , water is a must also . they like their worms and animal protien as babies, more then as adults . Do your research before getting any animal .

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
surie_the_tortoise said:
the biggest thing for babies is to have somewhere for them to dig into to hide . not hay but a dirt , water is a must also . they like their worms and animal protien as babies, more then as adults . Do your research before getting any animal .

Yes, doing tons of research as I do with any animal I plan to purchase. Been researching for months.
I keep getting conflicting info from all sources. Looking for some straight awnsers to help our final decision.
Eveytime I think I have read or been told the correct info, I read or hear different.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I have two easterns they are my first turtle. The only thing is it is almost mandatory to keep them outside at least in the summer

That only applies to adults though

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hatchlings are hard to keep for beginners, as they dehydrate very easily, and need more care then older Box Turtles. I try to mimic the forest floor as best I can, with hatchlings and any that can't go outside. I usually keep hatchlings in a planted vivarium, with soil mixed with lots of leaf litter for substrate. Plenty of plants will keep in the humidity they need. I don't use hide's for hatchlings, but put long fiber moss with leaf litter on top under the plants. They usually dig under plants where they feel protected. I throw in lots of pill bugs and small red wigglers for them to find on their own. A water dish pushed into the substrate so it's easy for them to climb in and out of. I use a long tube 5.0 UVB, and a low wt. heat emitter. Low light, warm humidity, and places to dig in and hide.
The same set up, only much bigger would do for an older turtle. Just how I do things, not written in stone.
The best place, of course, is outside in a predator proof turtle garden, or enclosure.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Thanks.... Do you mean dehydrate very easy? Just want to be sure I am understanding :)

terryo said:
Hatchlings are hard to keep for beginners, as they hydrate very easily, and need more care then older Box Turtles. I try to mimic the forest floor as best I can, with hatchlings and any that can't go outside. I usually keep hatchlings in a planted vivarium, with soil mixed with lots of leaf litter for substrate. Plenty of plants will keep in the humidity they need. I don't use hide's for hatchlings, but put long fiber moss with leaf litter on top under the plants. They usually dig under plants where they feel protected. I throw in lots of pill bugs and small red wigglers for them to find on their own. A water dish pushed into the substrate so it's easy for them to climb in and out of. I use a long tube 5.0 UVB, and a low wt. heat emitter. Low light, warm humidity, and places to dig in and hide.
The same set up, only much bigger would do for an older turtle. Just how I do things, not written in stone.
The best place, of course, is outside in a predator proof turtle garden, or enclosure.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
YEs, sorry about that. I meant "dehydrate".

This is the best site for raising baby turtles. Lots of pictures and information to help you. You can also contact Tom any time and he will answer any of your questions. He also has the best looking turtle garden and vivarium set ups. I love this site.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
JenTy7203 said:
Thanks.... Do you mean dehydrate very easy? Just want to be sure I am understanding :)

terryo said:
Hatchlings are hard to keep for beginners, as they hydrate very easily, and need more care then older Box Turtles. I try to mimic the forest floor as best I can, with hatchlings and any that can't go outside. I usually keep hatchlings in a planted vivarium, with soil mixed with lots of leaf litter for substrate. Plenty of plants will keep in the humidity they need. I don't use hide's for hatchlings, but put long fiber moss with leaf litter on top under the plants. They usually dig under plants where they feel protected. I throw in lots of pill bugs and small red wigglers for them to find on their own. A water dish pushed into the substrate so it's easy for them to climb in and out of. I use a long tube 5.0 UVB, and a low wt. heat emitter. Low light, warm humidity, and places to dig in and hide.

The long tube bulb... Like 18"' 24", etc.. Correct, not a compact florescent. (I know to stay away from the spiral ones)
Thanks a again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, I use the 18 in. for a 40 gal breeder tank. I also use the 24 in for the 95 gal. that I have my little Cherry Head in. And I forgot what size I use for the 195 gal., but it's bigger. I change the bulb every year or when I see it's getting darker, like a black spot. Some people change it every 6 months. I just changed the 18 in. and it cost me $15. where I live.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
terryo said:
Yes, I use the 18 in. for a 40 gal breeder tank. I also use the 24 in for the 95 gal. that I have my little Cherry Head in. And I forgot what size I use for the 195 gal., but it's bigger. I change the bulb every year or when I see it's getting darker, like a black spot. Some people change it every 6 months. I just changed the 18 in. and it cost me $15. where I live.

Cool! Thanks :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They arnt to bad getting them to eat is difficult with babies. Tortoises you put any type of food they tend to eat and eat as much as they can assuming they arnt sick. Box turtles can be opposite sometime won't eat for weeks once they do get eatin they then become picky eaters, diet is the hardest part about box turtle, the. Habitat. High humidity lots of digging room, and lots of room in general, I found not all box turtles but a lot will stress if kept in small enclosures outdoor enclosures are a must for the future, either way tho no species is hard if you provide the right habitat and do research, you will find tho how stubborn box turtles are, you will then discover how non stubborn your little Toetoises is. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.