New here from Texas

mcazares

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello! I currently do not own a tortoise. We are researching and shopping for our first. We live near the Texas coast. We are wanting a tortoise that does well in our outside climate and is easy-moderate on the care level. We have children, so a breed that likes attention is a plus.
Looking forward to interacting with other tortoise lovers and learning more so we can purchase our future pet!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! Do you have a preferred size of tortoise? Russians, Greeks, and hermann’s are small and very personable, if you don’t want something giant like a Sulcata.

mcazares

Texas
Welcome! Do you have a preferred size of tortoise? Russians, Greeks, and hermann’s are small and very personable, if you don’t want something giant like a Sulcata.

I would say small to medium in size. I’ve love the Sulcata, but feel it may be larger than want would work for us.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi there from a native Texan! I live in Myrtle Beach, SC now...but was born and raised in Texas. For a smaller tortoise, think about a Russian....or for a mid-sized one, consider a redfoot. They both have great personalities and I think your kids would love them. Russian will stay small....no more than 6-8" long, and they are a round shape....and redfoots will typically grow to about the size of a football. You might read the species information at the top of the page to see the feeding and care needs for each type to see which one makes more sense for your family.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would say small to medium in size. I’ve love the Sulcata, but feel it may be larger than want would work for us.
If you want something larger than a russian, you might look into leopards. They have almost identical care to sulcatas, but a bit smaller.

mcazares

Texas
Hi there from a native Texan! I live in Myrtle Beach, SC now...but was born and raised in Texas. For a smaller tortoise, think about a Russian....or for a mid-sized one, consider a redfoot. They both have great personalities and I think your kids would love them. Russian will stay small....no more than 6-8" long, and they are a round shape....and redfoots will typically grow to about the size of a football. You might read the species information at the top of the page to see the feeding and care needs for each type to see which one makes more sense for your family.
Thank you!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to TFO! Good luck with your choice.