New Green House Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Looking good man, and yeah i'd do overhead....lols you wont water much if you have a full size aldabra laying on top of one lols.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
AustinASU said:
Looking good man, and yeah i'd do overhead....lols you wont water much if you have a full size aldabra laying on top of one lols.

Well the sprinkler system in this building is for the red, yellow foots, elongated, erosa, burmese, brown/black. The aldabra building is a whole seperate building. They wont get sprinklers in the actual building, theyre going to get baseball field sprinklers on top of the 36" tall pen fence for them. I gots 2 buildings going up same time. This greenhouse, and the aldabra building, which is seperate from this project.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Alright some more progress. Got the first layer of sheething up and all the headers in over the doors and windows. Going to hopefully have the roof and everything sheethed by sunday. Time to work on the aldabra building too, the concrete compression came back good. Gotta get busy this weekend.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
At this point and time, how much money is invested and how many hours of labor?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well. So far.

40 hours demo old building
36 hours dirtwork
24 hours forms/concrete
20 hours framing.

Around 3000k so far. Had some help on the forms and concrete. But its been all me on the framing, demo of old building, and clean up.

Im out of free wood though. So tomorrow im sure anothrr 1000 on wood. But that should frame the roof finish sheething and decking and frame complete the aldabra building too. Id say total around 6k to complete everything. Not bad considering a normal home depot purchase for all this would be well over 30k or more. Contractor hook ups :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You've put a ton of work into this Kelly, that's evident even without your hourly breakdown! It's looking great! I can't believe you've acquired all those building materials for ~6K, that's incredible.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh thanks. All the wood has been free so far. The cash spent so far was on labor help for the concrete, nails, diesel for the bobcat. Lunch you know. I work in construction management so I sometimes get left over or extra wood. But now im out of the free life. Gotta spend some cash to finish it. Whatever is best all the wonderful creatures I keep to survive in this man run world we live.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It just looks great so far! Go ahead and build me my own personal one to stay in down there and I'll go ahead and book my flight right now lol. ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This is one of many I will be building. Mu next adventure is a similar building but for dry desert south african species. I cant wait for that becaise I have never tried to have a large vivarium desert condition building. Lots of cactus and rocks and hot. Have to take baby steps though. Aldabra building is next(well this weekend) :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Eweezyfosheezy said:
It just looks great so far! Go ahead and build me my own personal one to stay in down there and I'll go ahead and book my flight right now lol. ;)

Me too, me too:). Heck, I will even give free labor. I do a lot of my own. I'd like a loft please. Greg forgot it in his new build :D
Its looking great. Can't wait for the big IT'S FINISHED pic:)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
wellington said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Me too, me too:). Heck, I will even give free labor. I do a lot of my own. I'd like a loft please. Greg forgot it in his new build :D
Its looking great. Can't wait for the big IT'S FINISHED pic:)

I guess thats fine as long as I get top bunk. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ya'll are funny. Maybe I shouldnt post pics until its done yet. Then just flood this thread with the step by step, or do you guys like the updates? Just wait till sunday evening. Im getting some more funds today (via myself not a sponsorship) so I should have a very good progress this weekend on both the greenhouse and the new aldabra building. Oh man I wish I had a clone and more money. I hate waiting for paydays, especially when I blow through it in 2 days on construction goods. But its all worth it. Going to be an excellent finished project.

OH yeah I need to put photos of the building I tore down to replace with this one. Im kinda crazy it was a very nice building, just too big. Lemme find it.

Ah ha. this WAS the old building I took down and now you can see the vast improvement I am going for. This building had the greenhouse on the front half with the solar roof, as well as a greenhouse on the side, and then the other portion was just indoor pens. Was a nice building but didnt meet my modern expecatations that I know put on keeping my animals. besides it was upwards of 1500-2000 a month in utilities when cold. Had to downsize. :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Kelly, you are just as bad as me, keep it up, lol! I would love to see your routine progress pictures. I think pictures are very important to this forum, visual images are the best. Fantastic job so far!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks greg. I believe we do share a common great problem :D. I will keep them coming. Today I will prgress on both buildings too. Pretty excited to get the aldabra building framed up.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
well heres some more progress. Just really another layer of plywood, thats it. Not too much.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Alrighty. These photos are kinda a day or two behind. Been busy but now the sun is going down earlier so I never get a chance to get what I did that day. So hopefully I will remember to post the more updated ones. But heres some more progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.