Cherry Head Enclosure In Progress

Adao

Hi all!

I recently started my enclosure to house (Hopefully) 2 Redfoot "Cherry Head" Tortoises.
It's still in a very earlier stage but I think I can give you an idea of what I want to do...

This part of the enclosure is 4'x6' I did the outside structure using studs to give more strength to it, I plan in the future to add more terrarium/aquarium on top
DSC_0197.JPG

I'm using a pond liner sheet as where the soil is going I believe it's gonna be a great option to keep the soil moist.
DSC_0198.JPG

This is the other part of the enclosure. It's 3'x6', they both connect making it a reasonable size enclosure.

DSC_0199.JPG
( Cat not included)

The next part will be putting the top which will be white melamine (as the rest of the enclosure on the inside). Also I will install the Uvb light, the Ches and a misty King system which Im hoping it will be enough to keep a nice constant moist in the enclosure.

The enclosure will be 3ft high and the soil 8 inches deep.

My questions are: What are the height that the lamps should be and also if any of you had previous experience with the misty king system and what do you think?

And of course any input will be welcome. Thanks for looking.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am only throwing these thoughts out there. This is just a guess because I can't envision the enclosure completed.
But with a closed chamber system, a "mister"is almost never required. A closed chamber holds in humidity and warmth. You don't want a lot of liquid moisture. If that makes sense. Just humidity from evaporating water.
Use it and then see down the road if it is actually required. I also tried setting my first enclosures up with one.
Your Redfoot parameters are going to be: UVB light from a strip florescent lamp. Not a coiled bulb and something to generate heat, if needed. The temperature should stay 72-79 at night. 80-89 during the day and with over 75% humidity. No bright lights. A place for the torts to climb into some water and some hides to retreat and feel safe.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree with Zero, you shouldn't need a misting system. It would make the enclosure more complicated and keep it too wet. Remember, the tortoises like to be humid but not constantly soaked.

Adao

I am only throwing these thoughts out there. This is just a guess because I can't envision the enclosure completed.
But with a closed chamber system, a "mister"is almost never required. A closed chamber holds in humidity and warmth. You don't want a lot of liquid moisture. If that makes sense. Just humidity from evaporating water.
Use it and then see down the road if it is actually required. I also tried setting my first enclosures up with one.
Your Redfoot parameters are going to be: UVB light from a strip florescent lamp. Not a coiled bulb and something to generate heat, if needed. The temperature should stay 72-79 at night. 80-89 during the day and with over 75% humidity. No bright lights. A place for the torts to climb into some water and some hides to retreat and feel safe.

Thanks you for your input. I guess I will returning the mist system then which will be good one less complicated thing to work with. Regarding the lights I have two t5 florescent lamps one is 36inch and the other 30 for each part of the enclosure. Will that be enough or too much? How high should they be from the soil?

Adao

Agree with Zero, you shouldn't need a misting system. It would make the enclosure more complicated and keep it too wet. Remember, the tortoises like to be humid but not constantly soaked.
Thank you. I guess the system will be gone then.

Adao

Another question is what you recommend for soil? I think organic top soil and peat moss are good options. Is there's any other ones? What ratio would you mix?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks you for your input. I guess I will returning the mist system then which will be good one less complicated thing to work with. Regarding the lights I have two t5 florescent lamps one is 36inch and the other 30 for each part of the enclosure. Will that be enough or too much? How high should they be from the soil?
What kind of lights?
Are they just household lights or UVA for reptiles?
I find that the 5.0 is about right for them. The 10.0 seems to strong. (IMO)
If they are the tubes that came with the lamp, swap them out.