New from Texas

chelley007

Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
Hi, I am a pre-tortoise owner as well. I live in Central Texas. I am experienced with all types of animals and pets (domestic and exotic) but I've never had a tortoise. I feel like I will be a confident owner because I ask questions and do a ton of research. That's why I am taking my time to make sure that I get the right tortoise for my family. (Although I've never owned one, I've always been fascinated with tortoises)

I'm in central texas where it can be really hot in the summer. We currently have a dog, cat and hermit crabs.

I understand and have NO problem with with the fact that the tortoise will live a very LONG life. People who know me know that if I commit, then I commit. I'm actually looking forward to having the same tortoise 30 years from now!

I have a young daughter as well so I would like to get a tortoise that can be part of the family.

Any tortoise recommendations are welcome considering the above!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Any of the testudo tortoises would make a good first tortoise...especially a Russian (Testudo horsefieldii).

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

mojo

Hastings, East Sussex
Hi there, i too am new to site I have 2 hermanns and a Horsefield and think they are both great breed of tortoise in their individual ways. Good luck with your choice.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Torts are too addicting to let anyone pick what tort you should get cause your going to want a nother, then another ,and a nother . I started out with a turtle 14 yrs ago . Now I have 5 different water turtles and 2 types of box turtles , and 8 different torts . They are like "Lay's " chips can't have just one ! Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

chelley007

Central Texas
Thanks for the replies everyone! Grandpa Turtle, I do agree--one will turn into 2 soon....Everything that I have researched and read makes me even more fascinated with tortoises. Who on here has Sulcatas? I realize that this is not a good first tortoise, but, in time, I would LOVE to have one. I have a 1/2 acre back yard that just screams Sulcata.....

Any recommendations on where to "adopt" a russian tortoise? I could easily go the pet store route, but would like to make sure I get a healthy one.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hi and Welcome to TFO, I'm in San Antonio. Sounds like you will be a Great Tortoise Keeper. :) Good Luck to you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The TFO has a great breeders corner on here ! Start there .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome. My only suggestion is that you have zero integration between dog/cat and the tort. No matter how calm your dog is. We see it time and time again, " my dog attacked my tort"

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! I also live in Texas the Houston area . I would go with a two or three year old red footed tortoise .

mojo

Hastings, East Sussex
Hi and welcome, at least you are lookingup about breeds of tortoises first. They are amazing pets, so enjoyable to watch. Hope to see pictures soon. I am from UK. I have 1 x Horsefield and 2 Hermanns. Love them.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Good to have you here.