New Boxie Enclosure - my first boxie enclosure....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I just set up my first Boxie enclosure. I have a RT & a year old sully & there enclosure match their needs so want to make sure this one does as well.

Wont be picking him up for several days and he is a small 3 yr old three toe.

I have a 3 x 4.5 enclosure
Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 39w, 34" L bulb
a 50 w che - which is not giving me temps over 76 under it so I am going to order a 100
used organic peat moss which is 4- 6 inches deep
used cypress mulch in one section - dry area- for around food bowl, water dish.
The Moist area is 6 inches deep and also has a layer of sphagnum moss and some leaf litter from my yard
Hostas & spider plants in there now & I planted some grass seed for turf areas.
Hide has moss & peat moss in it.
food bowl is a terra cotta dish

Anything I'm missing anything?

@lisa127 - any tips for Crush?
20141019_174349.jpg 20141019_194007.jpg 20141019_173746.jpg

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
It looks great! 76 is good for the cool side but a bit warmer on the warm side. Other than that i say it's great! Do you know the humidity? They like higher humidity around 60%

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks! I have not checked humidity yet since I am still working on heat. 60% should not be an issue. My Tort room stays pretty warm & humid any way:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Temps are not reaching over 80 in any spot. Going to try a higher w che...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very nice. I like the fact that you can look in on him at his level. That it is the advantage of a glass front. those plants should film and very nicely, my spider plants go crazy I went from 1 to 8 in two months.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, was hoping 50w would be enough, hopefully the 100w isn't too much.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't think 100 will be too much in an enclosure that size. I will tell you that Crush is on the shy side (especially in the fall when he slows down a bit) and he has never lived with glass sides. So see how he does with that and whether or not you would need to cover the sides at all. He might do ok as long as he has plenty of places to hide (plants, leaves, moss, etc.). Crush likes to bury himself a lot as well. I myself never used a humidity gauge to measure humidity with box turtles. I just keep substrate slightly damp and keep a clear shower curtain over the top to hold in humidity but have never actually measured it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For my box turtle babies I don't do a hot side/cool side. I keep the temp an overall 80F. When they want to cool down a bit they can dig down into the cool substrate.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For my box turtle babies I don't do a hot side/cool side. I keep the temp an overall 80F. When they want to cool down a bit they can dig down into the cool substrate.
He's not a baby Yvonne. He is well over three years old (closer to 4) and has been kept and fed as an adult for some time now.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He's not a baby Yvonne. He is well over three years old (closer to 4) and has been kept and fed as an adult for some time now.
So 90 basking 80 warm and 70's for the rest is good?
I am going to mask off the glass with paper to make him feel more secure

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You might not have to block off all the glass, some people say it really bothers there turtle or tortoise and other people say it doesn't. Give it a shot and see what happens, maybe you will luck out and be able to see him better.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You might not have to block off all the glass, some people say it really bothers there turtle or tortoise and other people say it doesn't. Give it a shot and see what happens, maybe you will luck out and be able to see him better.
My guess is it would bother this particular turtle.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I blocked it off to be safe. I have already done this for my other two so its not an issue. I just read my temps with the 100w and I have a basking of 89 a warm area of 80's humid hide is 85 and the rest ranges from 78-72. Can't wait to bring Crush to his new home! Thanks Lisa, I'm very excited to meet him.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, I'm a little jealous :mad: box turtles are awesome... it would be so awesome to have a 'few' ;)
You habitat looks great too. Does he have a deeper soaking dosh? I heard many box turtles like cruising the (like, deep dish times)soaking area in their free time.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have some Ornata in a tort table that's 3'X5'. I use one 100 watt UVB bulb smack in the middle and 1 black light bulb. They're cheaper to operate , my temps are fine, humidity is up and my turtles are happy. They massacre plants, so the only plants they have are in their outside pen...
Wow, I wrote this last night and went to post pix and my laptop crashed (AGAIN) yet my typing was still here this morning without being posted...cute. So let's try this again. Box turtles are not tortoises and you are not going to treat then as such. Box turtles are more outgoing and not as worried about their temps as tortoises. Don't over do it. Don't 'over care' for Crush. I personally would not cover the glass. Box turtles are so fun to watch and none of mine have ever cared about glass habitats like small torts do. I have several 250 gallon aquariums for singular 'special needs' turtles for when they are in for the winter or just at night from their outside pen and the glass has never been a problem with them. I have raised most of mine from hatchling size and now they are 6 or 7 or 8 yrs. All different. Enjoy Crush, remember like Yellow Turtle01 said, they like to soak. I use a paint roller pan for mine. They like to bury themselves in really damp substrate. Generally under a rock or branch...or not. Here's my boxie table I mentioned for a few female Ornata...
more picture problems...sorry

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, I can email pix but not attach them here. My laptop has crashed 3 times in 12 hours...So if you don't hear from me you'll know why...