New indoor enclosure

skibum1110

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, FL
This is my Torts new enclosure. We went from a 40 gal breeder tank to this 4x6 table. I built it from an old shipping crate. Its underlined with a rubber matting all around. The base is peat moss about 2 inches deep. Si seems to like it I guess. does this look good? anything I need to do different?

Attachments

• 20141101_172130.jpg
    20141101_172130.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 118
  • 20141101_172138.jpg
    20141101_172138.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 110

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like your little sulcata would be able to just climb right over the edge. The sides look too short in the picture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a good size for that size tortoise. I would change out the waterer for a plant saucer and sink it down into the substrate. Maybe give him a couple hiding places. And be sure to measure the temperature all over the floor of the habitat. Your lights might be a bit high to keep the whole thing warm enough.

A better question is, "How does HE like it?"

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You have didne a nice job, but adjustments are in order. We all go through this but better up front, than after an accident.
I would immediately move everything by the walls more towards the middle. Your guy will use everything as a step ladder and climb over.
As Yvonne mentioned, I would also raise the walls. The lattis is good, but he will get through and hit the floor and then God knows what terrible thing could happen.
I would also soak him for 20 minutes a day, for extra hydration. He is quite pyramided. I got two juvenile Redfoots from Arizona with the same issue. Damage control is in order.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It looks good. A few tweaks and i think it will work well. Sulcatas need high humidity, so you might want to build a frame that you could cover with plastic or plexiglass. The second would look better, but plastic is much more affordable.

skibum1110

5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
it has lattice around 3 sides 18" high and 1 removable side for access, so there in no way of getting over the wall. Anything near a wall has lattice behind it. He is soaked about 2 times a week.

skibum1110

5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
Sulcatas need high humidity, so you might want to build a frame that you could cover with plastic or plexiglass. The second would look better, but plastic is much more affordable.[/QUOTE]

any pics of what would be best to do?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Let m
Sulcatas need high humidity, so you might want to build a frame that you could cover with plastic or plexiglass. The second would look better, but plastic is much more affordable.

any pics of what would be best to do?[/QUOTE]
This is what I did
IMG_20140930_185838.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Up soaking to once a day :)
It looks great, just make sure to keep to soil moist, it'll also help with humidity... what kind of lights do you use?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Up soaking to once a day :)
It looks great, just make sure to keep to soil moist, it'll also help with humidity... what kind of lights do you use?
The pic is my hatchling leopards enclosure. Skibum1110 asked for ideas. No coils in there. Lol. Hold humidity over 80. Not pretty, but very effective.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The pic is my hatchling leopards enclosure. Skibum1110 asked for ideas. No coils in there. Lol. Hold humidity over 80. Not pretty, but very effective.
:D I love your enclosure, I saw your thread about the stairs :D
But I'm talking what kind of lights Skibum uses ;)