New Boxie Enclosure

kbroadway2

Hi! This is my new boxie enclosure. Pickle is 11 months old and 2.5 inches long and 2 inches wide. I used two 40 gallon rubbermaid containers and cut the sides out and duct taped them together. My substrate is half coconut coir half topsoil. I will be adding some plants to the enclosure soon. I am thinking to use fake plants because I am not sure how well live plants will grow in the substrate unless I put them in individual clay pots. Thoughts? If I do use live plants I could use some suggestions. I will also be adding more hides and maybe a second water dish. Right now I have an infrared heat bulb on one side and a MVB on the other side. The MVB is on a 12 hour timer. I just moved him in today and he seems to like it. He's out and about, exploring his new digs. It looks kind of bare right now but like I said I am adding more decorations and possibly some more hides soon! I want to find some flat rocks to put in there but I am having poor luck finding large enough stones that are flat. Near the hides I have moist moss for him to hide under and to keep the humidity up in the enclosure.

Before he was in this enclosure I had him in a large underbed storage container. It wasn't too small for him but I wanted to upgrade him so he would have room to grow. He will be living in here this winter and probably next winter. I will be building an outdoor habitat for him next summer in my back yard. He'll stay out there all summer and come in when it gets cooler. I don't feel comfortable hibernating him until he gets older.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    954.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    655.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG