New bits in with tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

davina35

5 Year Member
Hiya all.
Here is a picture if my two hermann tortoise.
I went to the pets shop pick sum things up i was then told off for having them in sawdust but as i have only a week an explained my gran past away i have now to look after them which i dont mind. But got upset a bit by how rude he was to me i have now brought the stuff he told me to so hopefully im foing the right thing

Xtra pic

This is ozzy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 51

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So he told you to buy the pellets? I'm also confused by that basking lamp which is pointing sideways.

davina35

5 Year Member
This is babe

This is babe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 27

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
You may get quicker and better responses in the Hermann's section of the forum. But for now, here's a caresheet on Hermann care since I do not own or know of their proper care: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-1000.html#axzz2ChUhFaR6

I would suggest getting rid of using both shavings AND pellets. Many people on here use soil, moss, cypress mulch, coconut coir, or some combination of substrates.

Try reading the hermann's care sheet first and then asking questions for experienced Hermann owners to help answer. Good luck and sorry to hear about your gran.

davina35

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
So he told you to buy the pellets? I'm also confused by that basking lamp which is pointing sideways.

Yes he told me to buy the pellets he said i was killing the tortoise by having them in sawdust. It was that was when my gran past away an the shop man said it ok

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would try a substrate that's more like soil. And the basking light should be pointing straight down and at the proper distance away to achieve the correct temperature. It looks like it's aimed at the florescent light.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
davina35 said:
Tortus said:

Yes he told me to buy the pellets he said i was killing the tortoise by having them in sawdust. It was that was when my gran past away an the shop man said it ok

I'm sorry but WTF does your granny passing away have to do with the fact that you are not properly caring for these tortoises?

davina35

5 Year Member
Well i have only had them a week i do apologise for not knowing how to care for the tortoises this is why i have come to the site for help i only have the tortoises due to my gran passing away that is why i said it so i do apologise i am trying my best to get everything correct for them

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
ShervyBaby said:
davina35 said:
Tortus said:

I'm sorry but WTF does your granny passing away have to do with the fact that you are not properly caring for these tortoises?

Ooh, ouch.... I believe she is asking for help as she has just acquired these torts due to her granny passed away. So please be gentle on her as she is looking for help.:)

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
shellibelli72 said:
ShervyBaby said:
davina35 said:
Tortus said:

Ooh, ouch.... I believe she is asking for help as she has just acquired these torts due to her granny passed away. So please be gentle on her as she is looking for help.:)

Sorry I read that the wrong way.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Davina I'm sorry to hear about your grandma passing. Just have patience and continue to ask all the questions you want. People here are very helpful and you're on the right track.

Give them proper substrate like coconut coir or fiber, fix the lights vertically where they provide the proper temperatures, and provide the correct diet and all should be good.

davina35

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
Davina I'm sorry to hear about your grandma passing. Just have patience and continue to ask all the questions you want. People here are very helpful and you're on the right track.

Give them proper substrate like coconut coir or fiber, fix the lights vertically where they provide the proper temperatures, and provide the correct diet and all should be good.

Thank you
My gran had tortoises untill she move to a bunglow. So she had them taken to chester zoo but last year for her 90th birthday a family member brought them her they went in an kept them clean an gran feed them. an she absolutely loved them so i just want to make sure i do right for them and obviously my gran.
I have given then little gem lettuce an green cabbage and shreeded carrots which they loved they also have cuttlle fish.
I will get the bedding you are saying where do i buy it from please

Thank you so much for ur advise x

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I'm so sorry to hear of your granny's passing, but now let's focus on getting her little friends in good care... have you read proper care for your herrmans? I infact do not own one. But do know general tortoise care. The substrate and lighting you are using are all wrong. I'm sorry you are being tugged in 50 different directions. Pet stores really don't have much of an idea of how to care for all of the animals, there are so many of them. There are many, and I mean many folks here on this forum that will answer your questions and lead you in the right direction. I promise you that. Some will be angry because of the conditions they are in but you cannot help that at this point, because you were put into a situation without any help. And now you are asking for help. So now I ask all my forum members to please have patients...

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
You need new substrate, I use coco and tropiocal bark beding mixed together. Others use just coco or coco and sand or coco and planting dirt ( with out any chemicals or anything added just dirt). your tort needs a basking area and a cool area. I use a ceramic heater and a uvb light, now you need to change the uvb ever 6 months or so because the uvb wares out. As for food no fruits. I feed mine spring mix, kale, bok choy, cactus just to name a few. Now thats in the winter because up here in Alaska I only have about 5 months of good weather to get wild greens. DO not feel any kind of lettuce its just wather. You can also give alfala hay as ruffage every now and again. You need a good dish for soaking and drinking. People usualy use the cermaic bottoms of plant pots that can be foud about any where. The tank you have your in may stress him out because he think he can get out, but he cant. So untill you are able to change that put some black paper around it on the bottom so he cant see out. Change the water when it gets dirty. Wich happens alot. lol. Your going to want to use decholorinated water.. wich is easy to do. Fill a jug with your tap water let it sit out for 24 hrs and you have cholorene free water. I keep a few milk jugs on had filled with water. I hope that helps some! Good luck.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-59153.html#ixzz2Cj7GEuar

davina35

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I'm so sorry to hear of your granny's passing, but now let's focus on getting her little friends in good care... have you read proper care for your herrmans? I infact do not own one. But do know general tortoise care. The substrate and lighting you are using are all wrong. I'm sorry you are being tugged in 50 different directions. Pet stores really don't have much of an idea of how to care for all of the animals, there are so many of them. There are many, and I mean many folks here on this forum that will answer your questions and lead you in the right direction. I promise you that. Some will be angry because of the conditions they are in but you cannot help that at this point, because you were put into a situation without any help. And now you are asking for help. So now I ask all my forum members to please have patients...

Thank you all i want to do is make sure they are healthy an in the right conditions xx

Status
Not open for further replies.