New to site an lookin after hermann tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

davina35

5 Year Member
Hello my name is davina
I have had my Grans two hermann tortoises as she has past away.
I have never looked after these before an am unsure what to do but i have googled them an want to do my Gran proud as she loved them lots
I have two a boy and a girl from what ive been told.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Hello and welcome,

You will hear very good information frim this forum.
Please go under search and put in " mixing species". It is known that species should never be mixed. I see a Redfoot in the enclosure.. The parasites they carry are different and their enviromental needs are very different.
Can you senm a picture of the complete enclosure.
Please seperate the species. How long have you had the Redfoot for?
Looking forward to more pictures.

They need access to plenty of water to soak in and drink.

😄

davina35

5 Year Member
Hello the redfoot is not mine my neighbour brought it across the day i brought mine home
It was in for a few minutes then i asked her take it out.
I have since read information about other species not been placed together so this will not be happening again.
I have bathed them two time i have had them four days i also need to buy things from what ive seen on other pictures. The pic im putting on i have just taken the food bit pooks empty but this morning was full of lettuce so i think they are hungry.

davina35

5 Year Member
Hi herebis a pic of my enclosure i no it need things in it from what ive seen from other pics on here

I have put another message on but its not there but hopefully will appear soon if not ill type it again i could done it wrong lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Davina, and welcome to the Forum!

May I suggest that you either buy a light stand, or have someone make something for you to hang your lights from. You are correct in the placement of the UV light...it needs to be horizontal, like you have it, however the other light needs to be straight down, and with the use of the clamp, like you have it, that's impossible. Once you get that light hanging straight down, the tortoises will benefit from a warmer habitat.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Welcome to TFO!

I would advise against having a coil UV bulb like you have now. There are a few threads on here that talk about torts getting eye problems from them. A long UV strip light is better for the torts. I agree with emysemys, the light needs to be straight down. You can buy lamp hangers at most pet shops. I would also recommend a larger water bowl, so the tort can soak if need be. A terra cotta plant saucer works well for this. Also, a rough piece of slate works well as a food plate so the torts beak and nails file down while they eat, which reduce costly vet visits.

You have some lovely looking hermanns there. How old are they?
dannel

davina35

5 Year Member
dannel said:
Welcome to TFO!

I would advise against having a coil UV bulb like you have now. There are a few threads on here that talk about torts getting eye problems from them. A long UV strip light is better for the torts. I agree with emysemys, the light needs to be straight down. You can buy lamp hangers at most pet shops. I would also recommend a larger water bowl, so the tort can soak if need be. A terra cotta plant saucer works well for this. Also, a rough piece of slate works well as a food plate so the torts beak and nails file down while they eat, which reduce costly vet visits.

You have some lovely looking hermanns there. How old are they?
dannel

Hiya thank you all for the advice i have been told they are 18mths to 2yrs old
I will go buy the things as soon as can
Thanks again all xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we talk about the CFL's (compact fluorescent light) being bad for tortoises' eyes, we're talking about the bulbs that are coiled in a spiral, not the ones like you have, Davina. As long as you keep your light horizontal, like you have it, that light is ok. But if you were to mount it vertical, then the UV rays are concentrated out the end of the bulb and could be harmful.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you for the pictures.
I have a Hermanns and just love her.
She LOVES to walk in her water and just sit there and soak even after I have soaked her.
Enjoy! I am so happy that you want to do the right thing for your new torts.
👍

davina35

5 Year Member
Here they are both asleep in there clean box.
I have now bathed them 3 times this wk is it normal that they go abit scaley on there face as i dont now when my gran last did it to them as before she died she was in hospital for over a month and not sure if the people who watched them while she was there bathed them ? Sorry be a pain xx😊
How do u add more than one pic x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.