baby leopard tort ideally sleeps a lot and doesn’t open its eyes a lot

RyanW81969

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
Hi my baby Leo 3-4 months old now I had adopted him and he hasn’t been opening his eyes and the humidity is pretty high I think, (I do not have a humidity gage) usually the water is on the side of the tank. He will sleep in a corner and occasionally move. The temps in his cage is 90-100 day and night. I use a 100watt night heat emitter. I use a fluorescent tube for uvb and uv 14inch. I feed him organic spring mix, organic kail with calcium 3x a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Last edited by a moderator:

RyanW81969

Menifee
Where did you get the baby and how was it started?

They need a much more varied diet than that and grocery store lettuce should only be a last resort if you can't find anything better. Check this out for ideas: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Oh sorry I didn’t see your reply, I had my tort for 3 months and I got him when he was active but the first night he just slept and never ate for like a while and just started to eat and he did constantly till this month, he slept a lot and now doesn’t eat as much. I just bought mazuri tort diet and I’m not sure how to feed it... do I use it every other day, do I mix it with greens etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soak the mazuri in water until soft. You can mix it in with greens or feed as a meal itself. For a little one 2-3 pellets a couple times a week is okay as long as you feed a big variety of other things. Soak your tort in warm water and add baby food carrots and some piedialyte to the water. Bump the temps to 85 day and night no lower. Make sure humidity is 80% with basking spot of 95-100.

RyanW81969

Menifee
Soak the mazuri in water until soft. You can mix it in with greens or feed as a meal itself. For a little one 2-3 pellets a couple times a week is okay as long as you feed a big variety of other things. Soak your tort in warm water and add baby food carrots and some piedialyte to the water. Bump the temps to 85 day and night no lower. Make sure humidity is 80% with basking spot of 95-100.

Okay will do, I use a night heat emitter is that fine for basking in?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay will do, I use a night heat emitter is that fine for basking in?
It is though they seem to go more towards light I find. Is it hanging near a light? Be sure the temps day and night do not go below 80 and while it's not acting normal you should raise the heat to no lower then 85.

RyanW81969

Menifee
It is though they seem to go more towards light I find. Is it hanging near a light? Be sure the temps day and night do not go below 80 and while it's not acting normal you should raise the heat to no lower then 85.

Alright I am using a fluorescent light tube 14 inch so you say switch to a basking uvb light?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Alright I am using a fluorescent light tube 14 inch so you say switch to a basking uvb light?
If you see him basking under the Che then stick with that. If you don't see him basking then either place it closer to the light or you can use a regular incandescent bulb/light for basking. Your flourescent is already uvb right? I wouldn't spend the money for mvb as long as you have uvb already. Just add a regular bulb. You will need the Che or two for night temps. If you put your Che's on a thermostat or rheostat then the Che will go off and on as needed with the added heat of a incandescent

RyanW81969

Menifee
If you see him basking under the Che then stick with that. If you don't see him basking then either place it closer to the light or you can use a regular incandescent bulb/light for basking. Your flourescent is already uvb right? I wouldn't spend the money for mvb as long as you have uvb already. Just add a regular bulb. You will need the Che or two for night temps. If you put your Che's on a thermostat or rheostat then the Che will go off and on as needed with the added heat of a incandescent

Okay, yes my flourescentbis uvb and uv so I will trade the night heat emitter for a incandescent bulb

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Okay, yes my flourescentbis uvb and uv so I will trade the night heat emitter for a incandescent bulb

No, don’t trade it out! You need both. The incandescent bulb is for basking, and should only be in during the day, and the CHE is for night and maintaining temperatures above 80 in the cool side of the enclosure. You need UVB, a basking bulb, and a ceramic heat emitter.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
No, don’t trade it out! You need both. The incandescent bulb is for basking, and should only be in during the day, and the CHE is for night and maintaining temperatures above 80 in the cool side of the enclosure. You need UVB, a basking bulb, and a ceramic heat emitter.
Do they make CHE's that emit red light only, because I read somewhere in this forum that the red light is not good for them? Is this true? ??