New baby sulcata!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Got a baby sulcata today from a guy, and he's in great condition. Just wondering the basic care. I have the set up and calcium powder. Just any knowledge anyone has on them would be great. I usually keep aquatics but couldn't pass this deal up. H and any names you can thin of, would love to stick to s names

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Neal and Tom are good sources for info and have started many threads on proper husbandry, feeding and many other other topics specific to Sulcatas. Oh and for names how about, Sherman, Sal, Stu, Sherlock, Sampson, Sam...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Congratulations on your new addition. Click below my signature. Tom has some threads posted for raising sulcatas

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
Pics we like pics!
Welcome and enjoy your new baby.

And I agree, Tom is a good resource.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Hey, welcome to TF. as has been already said, this is the place to be for knowledge on Sulcatas or any other tortoise. the best advice is to read everything you can so that you can make the best decisions for your little guy. Good luck and and Have Fun!

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Heres a few pics, I'll be sure to get more up in the next couple of hours.

Well, I'm having issues getting the pics to show up. They uploaded but are they showing?

Attachments

• image-3404624042.png
    image-3404624042.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1733071808.png
    image-1733071808.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 67

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Still not showing. How are you trying to attach them? Off of your hard drive or from a site like photobucket?

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
From the photo library off my iPad. :/

Ignore the picture of the black cartoon cat. Are the pictures showing now?

Here's a couple more!

Attachments

• image-1681272690.png
    image-1681272690.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1831908534.png
    image-1831908534.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2212054106.png
    image-2212054106.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 51

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Since the pyramiding has already started, make sure that you keep it humid and warm. I would give it at least twenty minute soaks and spray it often. Read Tom's threads and that will help you with its care. As far as S names, my daughter suggests Scata. Welcome and keep us posted. :)

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks, I'm doing it's first soaking tomorrow morning. How often would I soak? I read for juveniles to soak them for 15-20 mins a day 3 days a week. The previous owner said that it was born in July. So it's still a little guy. I was also curious if it is possible to tell whether it's a female or male this early. I know with aquatics it gets easier as they age and grow.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would soak him for 20-30 mins. in warm water twice daily for now. Later, you can soak him once daily. Also, I'd be careful to keep his enclosure humid and his hide warm (around 85-90 degrees). Get one of those temp guns at a Home Depo or Lowes so that you can check the hot, warm, cool, and hide temps. If he's eating good, make sure that he gets a lot of greens (collards, kale, spring mix); reduce the amount of baby spinach you feed him because it tends to form stones in the bladder. Experiment with fruits, but use sparingly since they can't handle too much sugars from it. Unfortunately, you can't tell its sex at this stage. I understand that when they are around 6 years old, you may be able to tell then. Enjoy your baby, send pics often, and keep us posted as to his progress.

Really, though, read Tom's threads on sulcata care! You won't be wasting your time--I guarantee it!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Another thing, don't feed it fruit. It was hatched in July, it is still a baby. It is four months old which does not make it a juvenile. I think the going opinion is not to give fruit to the baby sulcatas because they are too little and the fruit has too much sugar that kills the beneficial bacteria(? someone help me out here) that they need to help digest their food. I have been told to wait to give it sparingly when they are bigger. Also it is size that matters and not age. I think you should be able to tell how old it is when it reaches a certain size. Someone will come along who remembers the specifics. Another great thing to do, probably the best, is to read all of Tom's threads on sulcata care. He is quite an expert when it comes to this amazing tortoise. Good luck and post lots of pictures. :)

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the info! And I read not to give them fruit. I did a good bit of research on him before I got him, but I just couldn't find some stuff that I needed. But thanks everyone for your help. I'll be sure to post ics often and keep you updated on how the little guy is doing.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I put you could tell how old it is when it reaches a certain size, that was a typo. I meant that you can tell its sex when it reaches a certain size. I am sure that you will do great with your little one and we are glad to have you here.:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sadly, most of the info that is "out there" to read will leave you with a dehydrated, hungry, undersized, pyramided baby. Research is great, but for 20 years or more the care for these guys was based on incorrect assumptions. We are only just now learning the RIGHT way to do it. Most of what you read on how to care for these guys works fine for any sulcata that is 10"+. Babies however need things done a little differently. Instead of simulating the above ground conditions of the 8 or 9 month African dry season that babies never experience, we should be trying to simulate the 3-4 month African RAINY season. It needs to be warm and humid 24/7 until your tortoise gets bigger. Daily soaks and shell spraying 3-4-times a day, along with a proper humid hide will simulate what a baby would experience in nature and reduce the level of pyramiding that has already started on your baby. A good diet, exercise, some calcium supplementation and a little daily sunshine will get your little baby all squared away.

In most cases you can't tell the sex for at least two or three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.