Do I need more calcium in addition to Cuttlefish Bone?

SulcataMikey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
We got our baby sulcata a cuttlefish bone for calcium. But do we need to also supplement with powder? Will the little guy know when he needs calcium and just take nibbles of it? Or is it something we need to regulate?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I've never seen any of my tortoises eat cuttlebone, I use powdered calcium and sprinkle a pinch of it over the food two times a week.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm the opposite of Yvonne G. I've seen all my tortoises (although my numbers are MUCH less than hers..) eat cuttlebone. I keep cuttlebone in every enclosure 24/7 and never add any powder to the food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am more along the way of Heather (Team Gomberg). I use only cuttlebone. However, once in a while I will scrape two pieces of it together over their food to make a dusting of it.
Also, incase you haven't yet, please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
I also use a cuttlefish bone and my tortoise always takes bites out of it. I do not like to put anything on my tortoise food because then I feel like im forcing them to take a supplement even when they might not need it.