New and struggling.

Sir_Rusty

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury
Your enclosure is great!. . . the problem is how you're heating it.

Pour water over the chips (I don't like the coir-messy) then mix it up with your hand to get it evenly moist.

Here's another thing to buy, and you can ditch the two colored bulbs - either a radiant heat panel or a 100 watt Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE). The CHE is cheaper and will work just as well.

You want to strive for 80-85°F overall, day and night. If you attach the CHE to a thermostat it will get up to the set temperature then go on and off to maintain.

You did a nice job on the enclosure. watch to make sure your new tortoise doesn't eat the moss, you may have to remove it.

We have a couple good care sheets pinned towards the top of our redfoot section.

Welcome to the Forum!
I can not thank you and everyone else here enough.

I have ordered the CHE and a digital on/off thermostat.

I just have a quick question, with regards to sealing the vents, is it safe to seal all vents or should I leave some ventilation?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I can not thank you and everyone else here enough.

I have ordered the CHE and a digital on/off thermostat.

I just have a quick question, with regards to sealing the vents, is it safe to seal all vents or should I leave some ventilation?
Sealing all is fine. When you open the enclosure to clean, feed and love on the little one that produces enough air exchange

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You also don't have to seal ALL of them. Try reducing ventilation and watch your humidity.

Your sliding doors also let quiet a lot of air in and out even when they are closed.

Sir_Rusty

Salisbury
I just have to say a huuugggee thank you to everyone who commented on this thread.

After completely gutting the vivarium and rearranging it using the tips everyone suggested I can happily say that my temps are good and the humidity is great.

Thank you all so much.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I just have to say a huuugggee thank you to everyone who commented on this thread.

After completely gutting the vivarium and rearranging it using the tips everyone suggested I can happily say that my temps are good and the humidity is great.

Thank you all so much.
So glad to hear it!

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I was reading this and was waiting aaaaand there someone said something about the lights. Idk just tickled me
On a more serious note, I have never had a redfoot, but would reccomend you have at least a little space for air exchange. Reptiles are CO2 tolerant however
If you want some moss,I would recommend a high quality sphagnum moss. It is not as stringy as forest moss, but can grow fungus so it is best to change it out every now and then
Make sure you give your tort some calcium powder every now and then. That is all I have to say. Enjoy your tortoise!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I would not do a moss. All the redfoot i know including mine eat all live plants you will put in there including sphagnum moss and moss can cause impaction. A good pothos or spider plant would be good, but it WILL get eaten eventually lol

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I would not do a moss. All the redfoot i know including mine eat all live plants you will put in there including sphagnum moss and moss can cause impaction. A good pothos or spider plant would be good, but it WILL get eaten eventually lol
Yeah true. My sulcata would nibble on dead moss every now and then. Go with Srmcclures advice, I'm an amateur. However, Are you sure about Pothos? I know it is quite toxic to people and can cause a burning sensation in your mouth from high concentrations of oxalic acid, which also prevents calcium absorption in people and torts alike. I don't know if this applies to a redfoot though