new and have Qs

goody13

Hello, my name is Alex , i have a young red foot and have a few questions . he or she dosent come out of the hide. the humidity is 60 to 80 . under heat lamp is 90f and in the cooler end is 75f to 80f .cypress mulch for substrate . Eats well but dont come out unless i pull him out. any suggestions would be great thanx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) How long have you owned him/her? A pic of the enclosure might help. What kind of lighting/heat are you using? How often do you soak and is water available 24/7? What does the diet consist of?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How long have you had it . And we love Picts of the tort in its enclosure .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

goody13

thanks for the fast reply and apologies for lack of info. ive owned him for about 2 months. he is 3 and half inches shell length and right now he is in an aquarium that is 3 foot long but soon building a table that is 5 foot by 2 and a half feet. and i have a heat lamp and a uvb bulb. He has a water to soak in 24/7 .everyday i take him out of his hide put in the water sometime gets right out some times soaks for 20 mins by him self eats then heads right back to hide till the next day that i pull him out again. and for food i feed romaine lettuce, blueberry's, kelp, and strawberry's. sprinkled with flukers calcium with d3. pics in like 20 mins.

goody13

the desk the aquarium is sitting on will be the base for my table buildIMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg
IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg

he didnt want his pic taken i guess lol
IMG_3136.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg

By any chance male or female???? probably way to young to tell but maybe

IMG_3138.jpg

lighter for size comparison

IMG_3140.jpg

just another pic =]IMG_3141.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 9

yillt

Welcome to TFO. I don't know much about red foots but someone will come along soon who does. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum, Alex!!

Baby tortoises are prey, and because of that, they stay out of sight most of the time. As the baby gets used to his new environment and more comfortable being around you, he'll start to be more outgoing.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Hello and welcome. Cute RF ya got there. Sorry I can't help ya because I only know about Sulcatas but this is the place to have your questions answered, when the right person comes along.

goody13

Hi, and welcome to the Forum, Alex!!

Baby tortoises are prey, and because of that, they stay out of sight most of the time. As the baby gets used to his new environment and more comfortable being around you, he'll start to be more outgoing.

How old do you think he or she is??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is that a coil type UV bulb? The one that looks like its wrapped in paper of some sort? If yes, those can burn their eyes and that might be why he doesn't want to come out. It hurts his eyes.

What is the humidity in the room where the tank sits? It is very difficult to maintain the warm temps and humidity needed for a RF in an open table unless the whole room is always warm and humid. I suggest a large closed chamber.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have also seen it recomended that glass tanks do not provide a feeling of saftey, privacy. You might want to cover the bottom few inches up with paper or tape so he can not see out.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Alex. Looks like you already getting lots advises so I just here to welcomes you.

Good to have you here. This is a great place to learn and share.

goody13

the table that im building will be about 70% covered , and as far as the uvb bulb it is a coil type lol and is in a temporary reflector made from a can but i just recently put that bulb up. they need the uvb dont they???
and i was thinking since i cant build the enclosure i want to right now i was going to cover the bottom glass like lismar is saying

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your baby is probably about a year old, but you can't really know unless one knows the hatch date.

The coil bulbs are hard on baby tortoise's eyes. If it were me, I'd throw that one away and buy a tube-type.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Your baby is adorable

goody13

what kind of feeding schedule would you recommend? i read all over every 5-6 days 2 twice the size of the tortoise head and then i see some others ....i dont wanna over feed, or not enough .....just curious to what otheres feeding schedule s are.

and i have pulled the bulb !!!! what light would be good for visible lighting?? like a regular 2700k bulb?