New owner of a Redfoot Tortoise with a respiratory infection

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello all,

I've just acquired a Redfoot named Charlotte last week because I felt she wasn't being kept in ideal conditions (temp. was 60 degrees, and they would leave her on the weekends with no heat lamp/UVB) so, I guess I have a new roommate!

Being brand new to owning a tortoise, I joined this forum to make sure I've been doing the right things for her. My room is 80 degrees for her recovery, I soak her daily, and I've been administering shots every 3 days as directed by the vet I brought her to.

Seeing as I don't know how old she is, I've been having trouble figuring out how often I should feed her. I've been alternating greens and fruits this whole week, but have never really left her without food.

I bought her a ceramic bulb for night time, some new UVB bulbs because the previous owner never changed them, a calcium supplement, and some cypress mulch / sphagnum moss / coconut dirt thingy.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• Photo0051.jpg
    Photo0051.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 64

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). While fighting the illness, I would raise her temps to 85 and keep them there day and night. Also, be sure she has a basking spot that gets 95+. Others will have more suggestions. Good luck on the save and with her recovery.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Be sure to soak the tortoise daily in warm water while administering the antibiotics.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks, I've been trying to, but she doesn't seem to like her soaks very much. I'm guessing the water gets cold over time, so I may have to heat it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Too bad! :p You're the boss here, not the tortoise. Use a bowl or tub that has high sides that the tortoise can't climb out of. You can position a light over one end to keep it a bit warm, but she has to stay in there for at least 15 minutes.

It is my opinion that this tortoise has been kept on the dry side. The previous keeper probably never soaked the tortoise. So, she's not used to being put into water. She'll get used to it eventually. It's good for her and she'll love it after she gets used to it.