First Time Red-footing It In Florida

Casey J Gilbert

Location (City and/or State)
Green Cove Springs, FL
HI All.
We are so excited to introduce our new red-foot, Tuck! He was born in May, same month as our wedding day this year! We purchased him from a breeder at one of the Repticon Shows on 9/23. Temporarily, his enclosure is a 20L tank, screen top, cypress mulch substrate, ceramic infrared heater, and a Reptisun bulb for UVA/B. He has a small enclosure outside which is a Rubbermaid container with cypress in the bottom, hiding area, and I cover it with shade cloth as well while he's so young.
Right now, keeping his humidity up is a problem. I read that it should be 80% but my has been no where close. I have changed the substrate twice, from top soil/play sand mix to cypress. I have poured water in the corners, sprayed it all down, and flipped the cypress around to be sure it wasn't too wet. So now I soak him for 30 minutes before he eats. I don't know what else to do.
He has gained from 2.6 oz to 3.9oz over the last week. I am excited about that...I hope it's a good growth rate.
I've been a snake keeper since I was in college so this isn't my first reptile but it is my first tortoise. No snakes now, just Tuck. So cool to be learning and enjoying such an interesting little dude.
Any comments and/or suggestions always welcome!

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Welcome, I think the screen top is where you are having your humidity issues. When I first had my yellowfoot, I had to put tin foil over the screen to help contain the humidity. Being in FL, I moved mine into a safe outdoor enclosure early on to take advantage of our natural humidity.

Tropics

San Diego, CA
What helped with my humidity problems was covering the top, or most of it. Mine is at a constant mid 70s now (according to my hygrometer I got on amazon).