Needs some advise please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JemmaANDPebbles

5 Year Member
Hi, I am completly new to Tortoises. I became the owner of a 9month old Spur Thighed one week ago. She seems to be a happy Tortoise very energetic eating well and loves to explore. Today i measuresd her by placing her on paper and measuring the straight legnth of her shell. I then weighed her.
She weighed 63 Grammes and measuresd 77mm, so her ratio works out at 0.13 which is under weight? I am so worried now thinking is she ill? Or is there something i need to do?

I would really apreciated some advise, she has a large outdoor enclosuer and comes in at night. She has a 100watt UVB light for the rainny days. I feed her a large range of foods which she really enjoys. She really seems happy and well so I am shocked that she has measured so underweight.

Thanks for reading Jemma

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
What species of spur thigh is it, and could you post pics of the enclosure and your tort (plastron, top shell,under tail and face.

What diet are you giving? What are your temps?
Are you sure you measured right? My calculations are coming out at 55%, which if it's a male he should weigh about 116grams.
77mm is 7,5 cm.

Could you re-measure and weigh again?

JemmaANDPebbles

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
What species of spur thigh is it, and could you post pics of the enclosure and your tort (plastron, top shell,under tail and face.

What diet are you giving? What are your temps?
Are you sure you measured right? My calculations are coming out at 55%, which if it's a male he should weigh about 116grams.
77mm is 7,5 cm.

Could you re-measure and weigh again?

Hi Yvonne, I am not sure which species of Spur Thigh she is, I am feeding her Clover, Dandelions, cucumber, grass, daisys, sow thistle, cabbage, water cress, honeysucke leaves, and lots more. She has a munch at them all.
I have been putting her out in the day as long as it is dry and sunny and when she is in the temp i keep her at is 30 degrees.
I re-measured her she is 77mm and 62gramms.
I will post more Pics of her enclosure in the morning.

Thanks coreyc! Yes she goes to the toilet every morning, all looks normal :)

P1010996.JPG
P1020037.JPG
P1020080.JPG
P1020087.JPG
P1020096.JPG
P1020098.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JemmaANDPebbles:

Welcome to the forum!!
\
May we know your name and where you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Your spur thigh has some very nice colors, and welcome to the forum..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am new as well, but her diet sounds great, the other end is working, she looks alert and active. She is getting outside time. As you have only had her a week, I would give it some time, because it sounds like all systems are a go.
She is a lucky tort. :tort:

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
He is under weight,
The problem is you have only had him a week so maybe he was fed on the wrong diet,
I would probably say it's still a bit cool for him to be outside even during the day,

His temps need to be at least 27 celcuis.

Difficult to say if he is a she or a him..

He looks like a T G Ibera but not 100%

JemmaANDPebbles

5 Year Member
Thank you every one for welcoming me to the Forum, this is such an amazing site!
When I went to get her she was in a small box with about 30 other Tortoises, so maybe she didnt get enough food. I have drawn up some charts now so that i can weigh her each week to make sure she is gaining weight. I am also going to get a thermometer today to make sure its hot enough for her outside. I think your both right lynnedit and Yvonne i need to give her time to build herself up. :)
she is a very spoilt Tortoise. I just want the best for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.