Need Outdoor Enclosure Advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckie

5 Year Member
I want to build my tortoises an outdoor enclosure.... however the yard isn't the best spot for it because the dogs are out on the yard and I garden a lot so I'm always spraying for bugs or fertilizing something.

So I want to do it on the deck. I have a great spot for it that is partially shaded. I have space for a 10ft x3 ft enclosure. When we finally get rid of the shed, we can do something bigger in that space too... but it'll be a while before we can do that...
I have most of everything figured out. I want it to be 18 inches tall, partially covered top, partial screen top. I need to raise it up a little on some legs so it's a bit taller and allows for water to drain out of the bottom.

My one problem... what do I use as a base?

My boyfriend says that plywood would rot quickly. I do want to use a pond liner on the bottom to protect it. Using more wood on the bottom would make the enclosure extremely heavy.

I'm just not sure what would be best.... any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use wood and seal it. Some have used pond liners, others have used shower curtain liners and others have used plain heavy plastic.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Pond or shower pan liner would work very well as a base, up the wood sides for support, as long as you don't intend to move it around.
You would have to create a drain, or multiple small holes for drainage if it is outside in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.