Outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosie4posie

5 Year Member
How would I go about doing this? I'm getting a Russian an I want to house him outside during the day and bring him in at night.
I live in Oregon and I would say the average temperature is around the mid to upper 80's. During the summer at least. Winter this won't be possible as it will be lower 40's.

I have been keeping my eye out for bookshelves I could do some demo and reconstruction on to make a tortoise table. I know the screen netting over the top and a hiding place are needed.
How would I maintain the temperature for a basking spot? And would the mid to upper 80's be ok for the cooler part?

Partial shade/partial sun? Full sun? Full shade?

I have lots of questions. But these are the first I will want to knock out. Help would be very appreciated!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have Russians, but from what i have read, this is how i would build an outdoor enclosure for one. I would lay chicken wire down, build a box as big as you can with sides of approx. 12" high over the chicken wire. Attach wire to box, this is the floor. Lay clean chemical free dirt/soil and maybe even some sod approx. 3" deep and also some plants to hide under. Then use chicken wire for a top, not screen mesh, UVB will not go thru tightly woven materials well. The chicken wire will prevent him from digging out and climbing out. The thickness of the substrate should given him enough to dig and bury himself should he want. Make sure there is sun area and shade area, also water available. See what others think.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wellington has a good post....the only thing I would mention is that the height of the enclosure walls should be at least two times taller than the tortoise if he were to lean upright against the wall....and take into account you will want to have the soil at least deep enlightenment that your tort can burrow/wiggle himself completely into the ground...so adjust your yard walls to be sure he wont be easily lured into climbing the sides thinking he can easily reach the top.....:p

These guys are superb escape artists if they so feel like it....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Any russian enclosure with corners will need to be capped, they can climb like monkeys, If you are looking for something temporary you could use outside during nice weather, kiddie pools are always a good option.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes to the above, Angela is right, might want to make the sides taller (18", and cap them), so your substrate can be deeper. They love to burrow so much...
And climb, lol.

I live in SW Washington. Although summers are drier, it is still a good idea to have a dry area for them to retreat to if there is a rainstorm.
I put this in their enclosure:

I got a fairly deep rubbermaid container. 18" deep?
Drill some holes in the bottom. Dig out an area to sink it 3/4 or so into, line with gravel. Sink the container into the dug out area, at a slight slant so rain will drain off the lid.
Put the lid back on. One option is to then add some 1" rigid insulation on the lid (those rubbermaid lids are inset). Then get a piece of plywood slightly larger than the rubbermaid lid and cover it. Weigh it down with bricks.
(you also have the option of making a frame for the lid if you want to get fancy).

Back fill the container almost to the top and cut a doorway into it at ground level.

Mine love burrowing in there on rainy days, and I don't worry they will get wet. It is pretty safe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.